Need help with Yamaha DGX-660

Reaction score
I have been looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of the Yamaha DGX-660 to provide me with some "online" tutoring on some of the advanced features. I have found little of value in the owner's manual or on YouTube. Specifically, I would like to understand how to be able to have multiple voices at the same time and also control the drum/percussion rhythms to match what I'm playing. I find it very confusing, and I'm stuck. Happy to pay for some help!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Can you clarify what you mean by "multiple voices at the same time"?

Reaction score
The DGX models are limited in the voices they can play when layered.

You will need to verify but I think you can have two voices in the upper and one in the lower, although one of the voices may be multiple strings or brass etc.

Even dedicated arrangers typically have three upper and one lower.

Reaction score
Can you clarify what you mean by "multiple voices at the same time"?
Sometimes I want to play one of the piano patches that is accompanied by a synth patch or a string patch. Usually it is two instrument sounds that I want to combine. Ideally, I would be able to adjust the volume of each and create the balance I'm looking for. It would be like having a piano player and a keyboard player on stage -- or - a piano player and a violinist playing together. The sound engineer decides the appropriate mix of the two. I have not figured out how to do that. It looks like it is possible, but I can't make it happen. I have "sort of" been able to use the split function to assign one instrument sound to some of the octaves and another instrument sound to the octaves above that split point. But that is not the same as having both sounds at the same time across the entire keyboard.

Reaction score
Are you doing this?

ie Layering 2 voices,

847F8BF9-0938-4479-9EBE-0519CE8F5F9B.png

Reaction score
Yes, I tried this but it seemed that no matter what I did, the voice that is automatically selected to pair with the main voice is all I can get to play. However, I am going to try again and to be sure to take note of what does or doesn't happen as I'm hoping it would, which will include being able to control the volume level of each of the voices to get the desired balance. I assume that the main voice is a bit louder, but in some cases, it might be nice to have the volumes equal or even to favor the other voice. THANKS, Biggles, for calling my attention to this section of the owner's manual again.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Each voice usually has default settings which are automatically recalled when you select a voice as the Main Voice. This usually includes a specific Dual Voice that complements the selected Main Voice.

For that reason, you should select the Main Voice first, then select the desired Dual Voice, because if you select the Dual Voice first, then select the Main Voice, whatever you selected for the Dual Voice will get replaced by the default Dual Voice for that Main Voice.

You should also change the Main Volume and Dual Volume last, for the same reason:

1) Select the desired Main Voice.

2) Turn on the DUAL option if it isn't already on.

3) Select the desired Dual Voice.

4) Set the Main Volume as desired.

5) Set the Dual Volume as desired.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I should have added that if you don't want to go through that procedure each time you want to play a song using a favorite voice setup, save your setup to a Registration Memory once you're done, so you can recall it a later time.

Reaction score
i need yo lower the volume o n. 34 churcfh organ in where the left hand had too hight volume respects to the melody i nf try to sing the melody the bass overwhelm the melody on DGX 660 i thing is a probelem more deep in the technology o f the istrument

Reaction score
Watch this YouTube Video it explains what you are trying to do.
Agreed the User Manuals could be better, but if all else fails read them.

This Video is for the DGX670 but it should help you to understand more.

Reaction score
I have been looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of the Yamaha DGX-660 to provide me with some "online" tutoring on some of the advanced features. I have found little of value in the owner's manual or on YouTube. Specifically, I would like to understand how to be able to have multiple voices at the same time and also control the drum/percussion rhythms to match what I'm playing. I find it very confusing, and I'm stuck. Happy to pay for some help!

The linked video below is the second of a 5 video playlist on recording to tracks, which could be played and then do your live playing along with it. As well, you could use Dual, Harmony etc,. on your live playing. (I linked the second one because it by far has the most views).

It also discussed changing volumes for each track, as well as saving registry to USB.
If it is helpful, maybe watching the whole play list will be off benefit. (Maybe these topics are on one of the other 4 videos. I don't remember).

Ask a Question