Need help!!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Is an old Hammond organ an electronic keyboard?

MIDI is not a requirement in order for an instrument— be it an electronic keyboard, an acoustic keyboard, an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, a drum set, a human voice, etc.— to be judged worthy of being called a “professional” musical instrument.

MIDI allows MIDI-enabled instruments to communicate data with each other and/or with computers or other MIDI-enabled devices (by which I mean non-instruments).

MIDI also allows MIDI-enabled instruments to play back MIDI data files which are used for song tracks, auto accompaniments, or even just patch setups or selection of preset voices/tones. Those particular uses do not necessarily require that the MIDI-enabled instrument have MIDI DIN or USB MIDI ports, since the MIDI files might be stored in the instrument’s internal memory or on a data storage device such as a USB flash drive or some type of data card.

But as extremely useful as MIDI is, every single musical instrument which is being used in a professional capacity does not need to be able to communicate data with each other or with a computer.

Now, if I had my druthers, I personally would want my electronic keyboards to be equipped with both MIDI DIN ports and USB MIDI ports, because I believe that both types have their uses.

But I would not deem an electronic keyboard or a MIDI controller to be a toy and unfit for professional use simply because it lacks MIDI DIN ports. And conversely, I would not deem it to be suitable for professional use simply because it has MIDI DIN ports. For example, the Yamaha PSR-E203 keyboard had MIDI DIN ports, but I would not be inclined to call it a suitable keyboard for a professional keyboardist.

Then again, a talented and creative professional musician can make music with just about anything that can make a sound— and an untalented and non-creative “musician” can make noise with just about any high-quality and expensive musical instrument. It certainly helps to have quality instruments, but it is not the instrument that makes the music— it is the musician who’s playing the instrument.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Alright then Mike.

Let's book this duet at Carnegie Hall ASAP!!! :D :D :D

IMG_1373.jpg

Gary ;)

I hate to tell you, but there is an excellent chance that they are better musicians than I am. :( ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Since Mike seems unable to let this go...

Casio sells the CT-X5000 for $450 USD... They saved themselves perhaps $5 to $10 per unit by omitting the MIDI DIN ports.

Now that may be OK if you're Joe Sixpack buying the board for your 12 year old to hook up to your PC...

But...

If you are a working musician and require a stage instrument that can communicate with drum machines or sequencers on stage, then you have just shot yourself in the foot.

It will end up costing the end user an extra $200 to get that connectivity back...

Just so Casio can save 10 bucks. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I don't recommend a device unless it has BOTH USB MIDI and DIN MIDI or at least DIN MIDI.

Otherwise the user has to blow an extra $200 on connecting hardware to hook it up to a drum machine or a module or a sequencer.
I am a huge defender of standard MIDI ports, won't buy anything without them. But you overstate the case. The adapter won't cost nearly $200. And if the module/sequencer you intend to hook it up to happens to be a laptop or an iPad, you don't even need that. But yes, I agree, for maximum flexibility and reliability, if at all possible, anyone using a board on stage should buy gear with DIN MIDI ports.

Available sub $200 adapters include:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

https://www.excelvalley.com/product/midi-usb-din-converter/

http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/usb-host-midi-2-p-6.html

https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Most of those interfaces are European and priced in Euros or UK Pounds. Add shipping, duty and exchange rates on top and you are teetering very close to $150--$200. Here in Canada it's far worse for exchange rates compared to Yankee Bux :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have a KN1000 keyboard and I have lost the sound out of the unit. Lights and everything else seems to work with no sound coming out of the output jacks or the headphones out jack. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Welcome Barry.

I am unfamiliar with the KN but I do have a couple of questions and a suggestion.

Is there a disabling function in the menu system for the onboard speakers or output?

Same thing with the headphone socket, does it have to be activated within the menu system?

Is there any input connectivity that you could use to play say an mp3?

If so you could feed in a song and see what happens.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
One thing to check is that the Local Control hasn't gotten turned off. That might be a stretch, since I think Local Control on most keyboards is designed to reset to On by default when the keyboard is powered down and then powered back up, but it's a good idea to check all possibilities, however improbable.

Ask a Question