Need New Keyboard for Son that has good Piano, Vox Organ and Hammond Organ sounds.

Reaction score
We have been looking at the Korg SV-1, which is more than I want to spend, but I don't think it even has a Vox organ sound. I would like to spend around 1k and he would prefer a new keyboard. I am a guitarist, so I am kinda lost trying to find him the right one. Any recommendations are much appreciated!

Reaction score
Hey there,

I own an SV-1 and it does do a transistor organ, as well as tonewheel organ sounds.

However the organ sounds aren't amazing, I'd only rate them as "ok". Where this keyboard really shines is with its EP sounds, which I note aren't a concern for you. It's probably not the best tool for the job in your case. As you say, it's not overly cheap.

You haven't mentioned the action but if a weighted action (like the SV-1) is important, that's another factor to consider, as different actions have a different feel.

I'm sure some of the others on here will have some good alternative suggestions for you.

Good luck!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at the Roland Juno DS61 and DS88.

Try one out at a dealer.

I think you'll find it has more than what you are asking for.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. How is the action on these? He wants the full weighted keyboard. He will be playing jazz and other styles on it. His teacher told us this one was more of a "synth" than a keyboard or piano. Not exactly sure what he meant. Maybe he just meant the sounds available. I'm also a little worried he will get lost in all of the bells and whistles and focus less on his playing with the Juno.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Jim >> The 88 model is weighted hammer action. The 61 is synth action. I own a 61 so I can't speak for how good the 88 action is but Roland has a good reputation for feel.

As for the bells and whistles? It has excellent pianos and organs as well as various synths and orchestral instruments. About 1300 to be exact.

Believe me, nothing relieves the boredom of practicing endless scales on a keyboard more than being able to switch over to something a little funkier once in a while.

Might I ask how old is your son?

The DS88 is an instrument that would serve him well for decades to come, fully capable of playing a professional gig.

And priced at under $1000 USD it's the best bang for the buck on the market these days.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
He just turned 10 Gary. Does the Roland have a good Vox sound? We gig regularly and play some Texas Souls songs that use a Vox Continental on the original recordings. We really want to get a good Vox/Farfisa sound. I can't even believe that the Korg SV1 apparently doesn't do a good one. The Nord has a great Vox sound, I hear, but we don't have the money to spend on a Nord, even used.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It has 168 Organ and Clav and Percussive sounds as well as 140 Pianos and EPs.

The Voxx voice is the last one on the list and all sounds are fully tweakable with a 4 knob by 3 matrix.

It may be a bit much for a ten year old to start out on, but if kids are kids he'll learn quickly and it will last him well into his 20's.

I'd seriously have to say that you should visit a music store and audition one for yourself.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ok, thanks Gary. There isn't one in our smallish town, but maybe we'll take the jump and buy one online.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Next best thing is Youtube demos and online reviews.

Do your research but I really don't think you'd be disappointed.

Good luck :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Organ sounds start at about 4:50. He runs through them pretty quick but you'll hear the transistors in there - like I said they're OK, not mind blowing. But you can judge for yourself.

I had a good look for Juno DS transistor organ sounds for you but couldn't find any demos on YouTube to show you sorry. They'll be in there somewhere though. The DS has WAY more sounds than the SV-1 which is why it's harder to find specific examples of certain sounds for this keyboard on line.

Reaction score
I love the SV-1 but the organ sounds are meh. I'd almost think about getting like a Hammond XK-1c and a inexpensive digital piano type keyboard.

Ask a Question