Need something for orchestra pit work

Reaction score
Hello all! Nice to meet you!

I'm a pianist and I suddenly find myself doing some work in musical theatre orchestra pits. My current (rather old) board is a Yamaha MM8, which was perfect for me (nice piano feel, good sound library, and light enough that I can carry it myself!) until I suddenly needed pre-programmable patch changes and customizable split zones and all the other things a pit player needs.

I've been trying to do some research into a replacement but I have to admit I'm completely staggered by the sheer amount of options out there. Suitable keyboards seem to be labelled as "workstations," "controllers," "stage pianos" or many other categories and I never know which one to look at or what the difference is. So I was hoping to ask some experts!

Things I need for sure are:

--88 fully-weighted keys
--lots of sounds
--pre-programmable patches that I can change with a pedal
--4 or more keyboard zones
--as much polyphony as possible
--Budget: $2000 or less

Something that would also be very useful (though not technically essential) is to be able to load sound libraries in from external sources. Also the whole lifting-it-myself thing; lighter is better!

Things I DON'T need but seem to find everywhere include sequencers, synth engines where you create your own sounds or arpeggios or what-have-you, anything drum-related, and just zillions of other options when I'd rather keep it simple instead. So I was looking at the Kurzweil PC3 LE8 (I do at least know that Kurzweil is the standard for musical theatre pits), which I could get used for around $1000, but I don't need even half of its functionality (or complicated interface!). A friend suggested a Roland RD-300NX which might be better, and I already know I'd like Yamaha too but don't know where to even start sorting through their extensive catalog.

Actually, I'm game for any idea, really, so I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions anyone has!

Thanks so much!!!
--Fia

Reaction score
Welcome.

Yamaha MOXF8

Roland FA 08

Korg Krome

are all within your budget, not sure if any have all the features you require but these are allpretty well used live on stage.

The Kurswell tips in at $3500 new.

For half your budget a Roland Juno DS88 and a Korg Kross 2 88 could well have the functions you need.

I have the 61 key Korg Kross and I am currently creating Combi’s which utilize different areas of the keyboard for different layers of sounds, there is also octave shift available in each keyboard split area.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're correct about Kurzweil being a standard in Musical Theatre. However, I say avoid the PC3LE models at all costs. They have been plagued by "blinking lights of death" since they were first released and many units being sold today still succumb to the same bug.

My advice is to look around for a slightly used PC3K8 or else save up another thou and buy one new.

Used PC3 and PC3X models can also be had at relatively lower prices which, while slightly older, are still serviceable units.

Otherwise in the $2000 range you may wish to consider a new Roland FA-8 or a new Korg Krome 88.

My advice is to keep an eye open on your local craigslist and see if any of these come up for a decent price point in good (not abused) condition and take every opportunity to go out and test drive these units before you make up your mind.

The Kurzweil Forte is out of your price range but the newly released SP6 might fill the bill if you can live with a lot fewer sounds.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question