need suggestion

Reaction score
Hi frnds!! Im playing Yamaha PSR 1500 from last two yrs. Now I want to upgrade my self by purchasing new key board.
I want to shift to Korg as I heard Korgs product are running in the band heavily. I want keyboard which should have real and alot of banks and voices, enough beats,
and apart from that IM looking for sampling and recording features so that i can record into my laptop and after some modification copy it back to the keyboard. I have heard of M3 but its very costly.
Im looking for keyboard with in range of $ 1500 or lil more with all the above facilities.
Kindly help me.

Reaction score
Recording MIDI to your laptop is standard (or, at least, you might have to buy a USB or Firewire MIDI interface; I have one that was under $50 US and is 2x2 - 2 MIDI In and 2 MIDI Out connectors), so I wouldn't worry about that. Most keyboards nowadays also will provide USB drivers so you can record MIDI directly.

As for sampling, you're going to be hard pressed to find a current keyboard in your price range. The Korg TR series (which is recently discontinued since they've introduced the M50) is the only modern keyboard I'm aware of with optional sampling (~$200 US extra). If your price is non-negotiable, you may have to look at older keyboards.

Reaction score
Perhaps a keyboard and a separate hardware or software sampler would fit your needs? You probably wouldn't be able to copy the sampled sounds back to the keyboard, but chances are you won't be able to do much of that anyway in the $1500 range.

Reaction score
I'm guessing you just want to get finished tracks on your computer so that you can burn a CD or post them on the web? Most keyboards don't really have much capability when it comes to saving a sequence as an audio file, so you'd have to run it into a computer or other recording device.

Or do you also want to include other audio samples and loops with the music you're playing on the keyboard? In that case, you'd need a sampler, so the TR series is probably your only current choice. If you're thinking more playing along with pre-recorded background tracks, there are a few cheaper models that do that, including the Roland Juno Stage.

Reaction score
Hey i came to knaow that Korg m-50 has finally reached to indian market and costing arnd $1100.so is it good keyboard? should i go for it ?please tell me something about it if u know.
thanks

I realize you PMed this to me, but there's no point having a conversation over PMs when doing it in a thread would benefit others.

Evergreenthompson started a thread about the M50 a while back. It's definitely a good keyboard, but what you want depends on your needs.

The M50-61 has a new style of keys for Korg; they're not hammer-action but they're not synth action either. I'm not wildly impressed with the action, but I've got a really good semi-weighted keyboard that I'm used to, so I don't care much about the feel of the keys in a second keyboard.

I compared the M50 to the TR series in-store last night and wasn't blown away by the sound quality of the M50 compared to the TR series. The M50 was better, yes, and where it shines is the fact that it has more sounds, but to my ears, it didn't sound so much better that it was an obvious choice sound-wise over the TR series. I was playing through my own set of studio mixing headphones, so I wasn't biased by the monitors that they were set up with.

Basically, if you really want or need sampling, get a TR; if you know that you won't use sampling, you'll want the larger sound set of the M50. Both are good; both serve slightly different purposes.

Ask a Question