need suggestions!!!!

Reaction score
i am confused on which roland keyboads to buy,
my choices are roland e09 in roland xps 10 and roland a800
what would be the best as i am a starter and i want a midi keyboard.
i want my keyboard to connect with other instrument and in which i can record also.
i am waiting for your suggestion. please help!!!!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Almost all electronic keyboards nowadays have MIDI capabilities. Some of them only connect directly to a computer, while others can connect to other keyboards.

Look at the back (or side) of the keyboard. If there are round, five pin connections labeled MIDI, it can talk to other keyboards. At a minimum you want an IN (so other keyboards can talk to your keyboard) and an OUT (so you keyboard can talk to other keyboards).

Other than that, what do you want your keyboard to do? How important is price?

I am curious as to why you're limiting yourself to Roland. There's nothing wrong with Roland, I'm just curious.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with any of those, or with Roland at all, so I had to look them up.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Roland A-800 is just a MIDI keyboard controller. That means you'd need to buy software for virtual instruments if you chose the A-800.

When I was searching for the E-09IN and the XPS-10, it looked like people gave somewhat better ratings to the E-09IN than to the XPS-10. One thing they mentioned was that the XPS-10 doesn't have any built-in speakers. This is common of more expensive keyboards that are intended to be used professionally, so by itself it isn't really a good reason to give a keyboard or synth low marks. But it means you'd need to spend more if you chose the XPS-10 because you'd need to buy monitors to use with it.

Reaction score
Prayash

As I stated in your post in the "Roland Keyboards" section of this forum, I do not normally get involved in recommending keyboards, but here, as with there, I will, because the three models you have mentioned are three entirely different types of technology, and a mistake at this point could be thoroughly disappointing and a sizeable economic error. As SeaGtGruff has stated, the Roland A-800 is strictly a MIDI controller. It has no internal sounds of its own. You would need to connect it to a computer or to a "sound module", such as a Roland "JV" or "Integra-7" or Ketron SD2 sound module. Any of these choices can be quite "pricey", but without at least one of them, the A-800 will make no sound. The XPS-10 is the typical "professional" keyboard with an ample palette of modern and vintage synth sounds, as well as those of traditional instruments. Some would refer to it as a "synth", but synth "purists" would argue with that, since it does not produce its "synth" sounds in real time from oscillators (as a "true" synth does), but rather "plays them back" from pre-recorded wave samples stored in Read Only Memory (ROM). For that reason, they are normally referred to as "ROMpler" (ROM Player) Workstations, but never-the-less, they fill a very important niche in the keyboard world. Now we come to the model I am most concerned with - the Roland E-09, which is an "ARRANGER" Workstation. It includes an auto-accompaniment engine that provides fully orchestrated accompaniment rhythms. Most "professional" keyboard players and band members view arranger workstations with considerable disdain. They see them as "home hobbyist', "amateurish ", "non-professional", "cheesy", "toys". As a longtime arranger keyboard player, I wholeheartedly disagree with this, but if you are thinking of a unit that will fit in with a band, something like the XPS-10 would probably be a better choice. While the E-09 would allow some editing of its sounds, it would not have the professional sound editing capabilities of the XPS-10, which is almost a necessity for a band. However, if you have need of fully orchestrated auto-accompaniment and plan on "one-man-band" operation, for gigging or just personal enjoyment, then something like the E-09 would be a better choice. Like most recent Roland ROMplers, the XPS-10 would allow you to arrange some basic drum, bass, and arpeggiator backing tracks, these would not be the same as the fully orchestrated real-time auto-accompaniment of the E-09. I hope this helps you with your choice for these units, or any others you might consider. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Ask a Question