Need way to ?bypass? headphone jack while plugged in

Reaction score
OK, this might be impossible, but ... I just purchased a new keyboard, and the only place I have to put it in my small studio apartment is up against a wall. The headphone jack in on a panel in the back, and whenever I want to play it with my headphones on, I have to reach blindly behind the keyboard at an awkward angle and/or tip the keyboard forward to plug it in. And when taking it out, it's easy to pull out the wrong cord. I'd like to be able to leave it all the time, or some kind of adapter/switch that I could turn on and off. I realize there may be no solution, but hey, ya never know ...

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Great question! I have the same situation and It is very awkward and frustrating. Thanks for posting and I am interested too in any suggestions.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
A simple extension or angled adapter is not the solution I'm looking for. I'd still have to plug it in to the jack on the back to use the headphones and unplug when not using headphones, because having anything plugged in to the jack on the back cuts the speakers out. What I'm imagining is something that could stay plugged in, but not cut out the speakers. Like an adapter that stays plugged in, but perhaps had an inline switch that changed it from being a "dummy" that didn't make full contact (thereby not switching off speakers) until it was switched on in some way.

Reaction score
Purchase an extension i.e. female TRS on one end and male TRS on the other. Plug the male end into the back of the keyboard and leave it plugged in. Then plug the headphones into the female end of the plug that could sit to the side of the keyboard.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5370&gclid=CN6pjsDO68kCFQErHwodE1QNEw

However if your keyboard cuts out the speakers when you put anything into the jack, even just an extension, then this not going to work. I guess what is puzzling is: if you are plugging headphones into the jack then why do you care whether or not sound is coming out of the speakers? One would normally think that the reason you plug in headphones is because you don't want to hear the speakers which is probably what the manufacturer was thinking in the design.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As Dave said, nothing is going to work short of drilling holes in your case and bypassing the headphone jack with a non switched jack.

The Headphone Output on your keyboard has a built in switch which cannot be bypassed by a simple switch in the headphone circuit.

Inserting anything will automatically cut out your speakers regardless of how it's wired up externally.

On some keyboards however, the headphone and line outs can be independently controlled by the menu regardless of what's plugged in where.

How about giving us a make and a model number so we know what we're dealing with here?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Another thought: does you keyboard have line outs? If so, plug the line outs into a small mixer that has a headphone out. An example would be this tiny mixer:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...kCFQEoHwodtfAP6g&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&is=REG&A=details

So take the left and right outs of your keyboard to the mixer's channel 1 left and right input. Then plug your headphones into the headphone jack of the mixer. If you have line outs, this will work and you should still have the speaker working. This particular mixer is not much larger than a cigarette pack. Look for a used one, I purchased mine used for $25.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think we're discussing a low end consumer keyboard like a Yamaha PSR or a Casio CTK with built in speakers here Dave.

Possibly the Headphones jack serves a dual function as a line out as well.

In any case he wants to be able to select headphone or internal speakers at will.

I doubt he'd be willing to spend $75 on a mixer and then another $300 on powered monitors to make an external mixer setup work for him.

Anyway, we're flying blind here until he comes back with a make and model number for us to investigate.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my PSR-Es. I can plug in a USB thumb drive by touch and from remembering the general vicinity of the USB-to-Device port, but to plug in a pair of headphones I have to pull the keyboard away from the wall or tip the back end up until I can see. One thing I just thought of after reading Len's post is to mount a mirror on the wall behind the keyboard so I can see the jacks and ports on the back. Or I guess a small handheld mirror might do the trick-- keep in handy somewhere close by the keyboard, then when you need to plug in or unplug the headphones or anything else, hold the mirror in one hand to help you see where the jack or port is, while you use your other hand to plug in or unplug the headphones or other accessory.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Why not just put a strip of masking tape along the top back edge with the ports all marked out?

A lot of keyboard brands take the sensible approach and silkscreen this info directly onto the chassis.

On my Casio XW-P1 cable hookups from the front are a breeze.

Gary

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I just had a thought. I am away from my keyboard so i haven't tried this. It may not work but worth a try . . . When you insert the plug into the jack, it is a double click. Just press it in for one click and it will not cut out the speakers. leave the plug in this "ready to go" position. So when you want to use head phones, press in second click. When you want speakers and no head phones, just release the plug by one click back to the "ready to go" position.
So tomorrow I will try this my self.
Good night.

Reaction score
I think Gary pinned this down. The speaker signal is going through a pair of contacts on the headphone jack itself. They are "normally closed" -- that is, when there's no plug inserted, signal flows through the contacts.

When a plug is inserted, the contacts are separated -- "opened" -- and the signal stops.

. . . This is not easy to defeat, unless you're willing to open the case and are handy with a soldering iron.

I suspect that, if you insert the headphone plug to one "click", you'll get sound in one channel (probably the left channel).

. Charles

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Charles, you are quite right. I just tried it. One click is one channel.So now i have the plug located in the Jack hole just up to the point before clicking in. There is enough friction to hold it in place. I have worked out exactly where this is located (it is directly in line with F key on 2nd octave). Now i can reach across blindly and insert or release. Still a bit awkward because the sheet music holder is in the way. But nevertheless the idea has some merit (dare i say)

Reaction score
Thanks all for your ideas. I have a Yamaha pretty low-end digital piano BTW. And yes, leaving it partially inserted, just before the click does the trick. Luckily, the hole is fairly reachable just barely behind the sheet music holder. Happy camper!

Ask a Question