need Yamaha DGX-305 sustain pedal replacement

Reaction score
I need Yamaha DGX-305 sustain pedal or some other pedal that would work as a replacement. Does anyone know of available pedal that works with the DGX-305 ?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The manual lists the Yamaha FC4 or FC5 as being compatible, but the FC4 has since been replaced by the FC4A. The FC4A is shaped like a piano pedal, whereas the FC5 is more of a square shape and is less expensive. Also, if I'm not mistaken the FC5 is designed to click on or off like a switch when you depress, so you can turn on sustain and leave it on without having to keep your foot down on the pedal, whereas the FC4A will sustain only while you are actively depressing the pedal.

If you like the FC4A style of pedal but want to save a little money, just about any sustain pedal made by other companies should also work. However, you'll want to avoid the ones that are "half-dampening" pedals, because the DGX-305 can't use that type.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just to qualify Michael's statement that ANY other pedal will work.

Be advised that you require a UNIVERSAL type sustain pedal. ie. One with a polarity switch.

This is because Yamaha and Roland use the opposite polarity from Korg, Casio and most other keyboards.

ie. They use a NC switch instead of a NO switch.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Thank you for mentioning that. I don't know if it's correct, but I read a reply to a question on an Amazon product page for a sustain pedal in which someone said that if you get a pedal with the wrong polarity then you can turn on the Yamaha keyboard with the pedal down and it will work as it should.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe on the DGX line. Dunno. Generally though, Yamaha products, including all their pedals are NC technology.

Usually automatic pedal sensing is only available on higher end workstations from most manufacturers and I don't think the DGX-305 falls into that categrory.

Just to be safe though, the OP should purchase a switchable pedal.

I highly recommend these models.

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-SP-2-Universal-Electronic-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K

They're built like a brick outhouse and not too pricey for most budgets.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question