New board for gigging

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm on the look for a new board and i'm only getting more confused the more i watch, read and listen :-(

My budget is around 1800$. The board will be used in a band setting with gigs once in a while - genre is pop-rock'ish. 88 weighted keys are a must. Layering as well.

I have looked at both stage pianos and workstations - but for band/gig use i have a hard time figuring out what would suite best. Currently playing a very old digital piano where the only decently sound is the piano sound (and there by is quite limiting).

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Reaction score
With your budget you might investigate a new Roland FA-08 or Korg Krome 88. Both very versatile workstations with great sounds and weighted action.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Both good choices, or also save yourself an additional $800 and buy a Casio Privia PX-5S Stage Piano/Synth for $1000 USD.

An amazing sounding keyboard that's making big waves in the industry.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks a lot and thanks for your responses :)

I managed to find a store which had the Casio Privia PX-5S and while i was quite impressed by the board and the price it was not the board for me. Sounds was good but not great and the feel of the keys was a bit wierd to me. In the same session i tried the Roland RD-300NX, Yamaha CP40 and Kawai MP11 and MP7. The Roland had decent action, but the sounds was a bit dull to me, some good EP/Rhodes thou. The Yamaha CP40 have very nice action, but again the sounds in the board makes it a no go for me. I absolutly loved the MP11 and was thrilled that the store had a MP7 (i was told not through email - it was an RMA model with a "click" sound in a key, so he was a bit hessitant to let me play it). Those Kawai's just sound and feel nice. I found my new board in the MP7. They have a nice price offer at 1450$ for the MP7 which is quite a good price compared to other stores that sell the board.

Other boards i have tried in the price class and around: Kurzweil Artis (beautiful piano sound, lots of nice sounds and some i found quite lacking, and a so-so keybed), Yamaha MoFX8, Roland FA-08, Yamaha CP4. Some boards are hard to find in my country :-(

Ask a Question