New Here and on a quest to find a digital piano keyboard ...

Reaction score
Hi to everyone. I learned to play the piano many years ago growing up in England. I've been living in the US for 20++ years and don't have room for an upright piano so I decided to get a digital piano keyboard just as a hobby and so I ordered a couple from Amazon, the most recent being a Donner. It was a little bulky so I returned it and ordered an Alesis Recital semi weighted keyboard. It's compact and easy to use but I'm finding that I need to put a lot of pressure on the keys and now that I have arthritis in my wrists, my right hand is especially bad, it makes my wrist and elbow hurt after playing. I seem to remember that when I played a regular upright piano, I didn't have to press the keys so hard but back then I didn't have the arthritis. At the risk of making my husband crazy, I don't know whether to return this Alesis keyboard. I have spent so much time on the internet researching these keyboards but I am getting nowhere fast. I really would rather not spend more than $500. Should I be getting a fully weighted vs a semi weighted keyboard? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you!

3dc

Reaction score
One options is to go with 76 key synth action keyboard with transpose option. Something like Yamaha PSR-EW310 or Yamaha PSR-EW410. You can get EW310 for 325 EUR and EW410 for 398 EUR. The EW310 is beginner while EW410 is intermediate arranger keyboard. Both come packed with tons of styles and voices.

Reaction score
Welcome.

I bought a DP a year ago after extensive testing.

By far the lightest weighting of any digital piano that I tried was the Korg B2N, there is the standard B2 and the B2N where the weighting is even less.

I bought a Yamaha P121 which is the 73 key version of the P125. They both have the same action.

For a lighter action then do check out a Casio WK 7600, which is has plenty of sounds and 250 rhythms and 76 keys, the Yamaha PSR EW410 is similar but more arranger functions.

An arranger will have lighter key action and a Casio CT X5000 may suit downside is that it has 61 keys but this is normal with nearly all arrangers.

There are other that may suit you but some may be a little more than your budget.

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Such helpful advice. Am checking these out and broke the news to my husband that Alexis keyboard has to go back ...

Reaction score
Welcome.

I bought a DP a year ago after extensive testing.

By far the lightest weighting of any digital piano that I tried was the Korg B2N, there is the standard B2 and the B2N where the weighting is even less.

I bought a Yamaha P121 which is the 73 key version of the P125. They both have the same action.

For a lighter action then do check out a Casio WK 7600, which is has plenty of sounds and 250 rhythms and 76 keys, the Yamaha PSR EW410 is similar but more arranger functions.

An arranger will have lighter key action and a Casio CT X5000 may suit downside is that it has 61 keys but this is normal with nearly all arrangers.

There are other that may suit you but some may be a little more than your budget.
Thank you very much. I like the sound of the Korg B2N. Sounds like it would be much easier for me to play.

Reaction score
No talking just each of the sounds

Add to your checkout list the Studiologic Numa Compact 2, it has 88 keys and they are semi weighted plus one advantage is that it is very light at 7kg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much.
I have a question on the 76-key keyboard. I've only ever played an upright piano so how (maybe a dumb question??) is it to have only 76 keys? I feel like the Yamaha keyboard may have a soft touch. Thanks in advance.

3dc

Reaction score
You would need a 88-key keyboard only if you are heavily into classic music and precise piano performance. Its nice to have them all but they are not essential. 80-90% of time you will need only 60 to 76 keys for most of your playing. The rest is solved on the fly with "+ -octave" option on most modern keyboards.
There are several advantages for 76-keyboard over 88 key. Space saving, portability, weight and synth touch. However some people prefer the availability of all 88 keys. So it boils down to your personal preference and in your case health situation. Can you live without 88 keys and do you actually need all of them based on intended every day use.

Here are your 76 options in your price range with links for specs:
Yamaha EW310 for 325 EUR
Yamaha EW410 for 398 EUR
Bare in mind these are "arranger keyboards" meaning they come with speakers, more then 500 accompaniment styles and voices (woodwind, strings, percussion, etc).

If you must go for 88 keys then what @Biggles suggested in his post might be right for you.

I hope this will help you in your decision.

Reaction score
Another lighter action digital piano has been announced by Korg at the NAMM online show, it is the L1 with the LS key action from the Kronos LS.

Not much more is known other than it is lightweight and compact and it looks similar in size to a Casio S1000.

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. 3dc, I'm leaning towards one of the the 76 key Yamahas but also will look into the new Korg suggested by Biggles. Thanks again. I wish I'd come here before ordering 3, or is it 4 (I've lost count) keyboards from Amazon that have all gone back. I realize that the soft touch is so important; with the arthritis in my hands I can't put much pressure on the keys.

Reaction score
Is there any specific reasons why you are looking only at digital pianos?

All but a few digital piano’s have hammer action or a derivative.

Of all Yamaha digital pianos the NP 32 probably has the lightest touch keybed which their website states is graded soft touch.

The Korg B2N and possibly the new L1 will also have light action.

This is the NAMM 2021 session re the new digital pianos

There are very viable alternatives to a digital piano but these do not have hammer action they have Synth Action which is very light, these are the Arranger class of instruments.

Yamaha PSR E463 @ $380

Casio CT X3000 @ $300

Casio CT X5000 @ $449

Of the three if I was buying it would be the X5000, here is a review of it.

I suggest you consider these keyboards, they will certainly be far easier on your hands, other than only having 61 keys there is no other real downside. Yes they have a lot of buttons but turn on and you get the default piano sound and you can start playing, add in learning the features as and when you want.

Reaction score

Of all Yamaha digital pianos the NP 32 probably has the lightest touch keybed which their website states is graded soft touch.

There are very viable alternatives to a digital piano but these do not have hammer action they have Synth Action which is very light, these are the Arranger class of instruments.

Yamaha PSR E463 @ $380

Casio CT X3000 @ $300

Casio CT X5000 @ $449

I suggest you consider these keyboards, they will certainly be far easier on your hands, other than only having 61 keys there is no other real downside. Yes they have a lot of buttons but turn on and you get the default piano sound and you can start playing, add in learning the features as and when you want.
Thank you so much for these recommendations. I will look into them. I think the arrangers will suit my hands a lot better. I wish I'd come here first. Thanks again; I really appreciate yours and everyone else's suggestions. I feel like I'm finally making progress.

Reaction score

Yamaha PSR E463 @ $380

Casio CT X3000 @ $300

Casio CT X5000 @ $449

X
er on your hands, other than only having 61 keys there is no other real downside. Yes they have a lot of buttons but turn on and you get the default piano sound and you can start playing, add in learning the features as and when you want.
I checked out the new Korg L1 that they just released. That's a possibility. As to the Casio CT X5000, I'm wondering how I would be able to play with 61 keys. I would be playing pieces by Beethoven, Chopin, etc. Wouldn't I run out of keys? I can see 73 keys could work, but I feel I would be missing too many keys with only 61 since I have only ever played an upright piano. I know you gave me some recommendations for 76-key keyboards in an earlier post. Thanks.

Reaction score
You are welcome.

Within your budget the lightest actions are in the models that I have quoted ie Casio WK and Yamaha EW models, both with 76 keys.

Upping your budget a bit and the Korg XE 20 will come into the equation

I have a Yamaha P121 with 73 keys and it can be a bit limiting but more so is that I miss having arranger functions, the P series like other digital pianos only has limited drum rhythms where I want more. Hence suggesting the XE 20 as perhaps a more versatile keyboard as this one does have a light action.

Good luck

Reaction score
Hi All! After going through all your helpful posts, I have decided to go with the Korg 88-Key Lighter-Touch Digital Piano. I have a good feeling about this keyboard after having watched the youtube videos and reading the reviews. Thanks again! My hands will appreciate the lighter touch. :)

Reaction score
Hi All! After going through all your helpful posts, I have decided to go with the Korg 88-Key Lighter-Touch Digital Piano. I have a good feeling about this keyboard after having watched the youtube videos and reading the reviews. Thanks again! My hands will appreciate the lighter touch. :)
Korg B2N. I couldn't find put when the Korg L1 is coming out; read somewhere later this year.

Reaction score
Sweetwater is showing the B2N as in stock.

I am a little concerned that you are going to find a keyboard that has the key weighting that you can live with.

Your experience with a semi-weighted keybed and having to return that does not bode well for you finding a light action 88 key keyboard.

The Studiologic Compact I posted the video link in a prior post has semi weighted keys and probably is the best digital piano within your criteria that I can think of.

My concern is that the Korg L1 with its light action will still have a heavier key action than say the Studiologic Compact’s semi weighted action.

I will throw in a Wildcard for you to consider, it is a digital piano that I have played, it sounds reasonable and it does not have weighted or semi weighted keys it has a keybed more akin to what you will find on a synth or arranger. It is compact in overall dimensions yet has full sized keys, inbuilt amp and speakers, also available in 61 and 88 key versions, it is made by Roland and the model is the Go Piano 88.

Reaction score
Sweetwater is showing the B2N as in stock.

I am a little concerned that you are going to find a keyboard that has the key weighting that you can live with.

Your experience with a semi-weighted keybed and having to return that does not bode well for you finding a light action 88 key keyboard.

The Studiologic Compact I posted the video link in a prior post has semi weighted keys and probably is the best digital piano within your criteria that I can think of.

My concern is that the Korg L1 with its light action will still have a heavier key action than say the Studiologic Compact’s semi weighted action.

I will throw in a Wildcard for you to consider, it is a digital piano that I have played, it sounds reasonable and it does not have weighted or semi weighted keys it has a keybed more akin to what you will find on a synth or arranger. It is compact in overall dimensions yet has full sized keys, inbuilt amp and speakers, also available in 61 and 88 key versions, it is made by Roland and the model is the Go Piano 88.

Like the wild card! Sounds like the Roland is a simpler model and the Studiologic sounds like it has a lot more features. I need to give this some thought. My primary concern is the touch sensitivity. However, maybe it would be fun to have more features to play around with rather than less? I guess I would ask too which one is more user friendly? I don't want a keyboard that is too complicated and requires a high level of technological skill. Also, reading the reviews on Sweetwater, one user said that the Studiologic does not come with a sheet music stand. Lots to ponder and since it is nearly 6:00 pm here, I may have a glass of wine to help with my pondering. Thanks for taking the time to provide so much great advice.

Reaction score
I found out that the Studiologic does not have a sheet music stand which is a little strange. I am leaning towards the Roland GO 88. I think for my purposes, I don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

Ask a Question