New here -- prog keyboard player with Hammond focus but exploring the synth world

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am new to this forum. I'm just starting a band -- it will be inspired by progressive rock but also plenty other genres. Nice to be in this forum now! I have some experience on organ and piano, but barely on the whole universe of synthetic sounds.
So, I hope for some input and inspiration on bringing the sounds in my head to a real acoustic event :D.
Although I have a degree in sound engineering, I am looking forward to getting tips and tricks about your workflow in the creative process.

My setup:
- KeyB II organ (very nice Hammond clone -- nowadays called Viscount Legend -- who knows it and is in for exchanging thoughts on experiences with it?)
- KXStudio (collection of applications and plugins for Linux) --> managing open-source/freeware synths etc. + Midi Keyboard
- Roland FP2 stage-piano -- considering to keep on using as keyboard but with plugin-piano sound
- planning to demo-track with Ardour or Reaper

Two questions to start:
1. Gear/sounds:
I have plenty powerful synthesizers available that offer unlimited possibilities to create sounds (e.g., SynAddSubFX). But to get started, I would require some specific sounds to be able to jam. I like some community-based presets in e.g. the Surge-synthesizer.

But especially, I look for some nice string-like, atmospheric pad sounds. Can anyone of you recommend some (freeware?) plugins that you like?
Or maybe you can recommend e.g. tutorials on creating such pad sounds with an add./sub. synth?

2. Musical/playing technique:
I am approaching jazz harmony/scales now, finding my favorite tonal material to compose melodies and solos. I know, in the end this is individual. But sometimes I long for "standard prog solo building blocks". Are there some frequently used scales and tricks that all prog keyboardists use? E.g. some modifications of certain modes? Some common "chromatic enrichment" of minor or pentatonic scales?

So, thanks in advance for having me and for any thoughts. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome. I am a long time musician but only getting started playing keyboard. That said I am a fan of all of the classic prog rock bands as well of some later prog metal like Porcupine Tree, etc. One of my main objectives is to integrate synth parts into my original music so I have been investigating virtual synths and strings. I do like Surge but the one I like most at this time is Zebralette and Zebra. For strings you can get the BBE Orchestra for free if you can wait 2 weeks or $99.00 if you can't wait. I have a bunch of others, these are just my favorites.

Unfortunately it will be a while before I can help you with playing technique :confused:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi there fellow KXstudio/Linux user.

I haven't had the greatest of luck integrating VSTs into my studio.

I tend to stick with class compliant hardware to create my music.

What sequencer/DAW are you using?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi there fellow KXstudio/Linux user.

I haven't had the greatest of luck integrating VSTs into my studio.

I tend to stick with class compliant hardware to create my music.

What sequencer/DAW are you using?

Gary ;)
Hi!
I think I indeed call it luck that I can at least play with some VSTs from the KX repository since I am new to that.
I would love to have a (analog...?) hardware synthesizer but VST is cheaper :p.

So far I am just playing, no ambitious recording here. But I will see how far I get with Ardour with Reaper as potential alternative. Don't know yet whether I will record MIDI or audio. I guess the "keyboard nerds" use to record MIDI whenever they deal with VSTs?
I used to do "classical" music recording. For that I used Magix Sequoia because of the excellent editing features, but it is very expensive. To edit rock music, I anticipate that Ardour or Reaper will be enough^^.

Reaction score
Welcome. I am a long time musician but only getting started playing keyboard. That said I am a fan of all of the classic prog rock bands as well of some later prog metal like Porcupine Tree, etc. One of my main objectives is to integrate synth parts into my original music so I have been investigating virtual synths and strings. I do like Surge but the one I like most at this time is Zebralette and Zebra. For strings you can get the BBE Orchestra for free if you can wait 2 weeks or $99.00 if you can't wait. I have a bunch of others, these are just my favorites.

Unfortunately it will be a while before I can help you with playing technique :confused:
Thank you, I will check that out!

Reaction score
Hi!
I think I indeed call it luck that I can at least play with some VSTs from the KX repository since I am new to that.
I would love to have a (analog...?) hardware synthesizer but VST is cheaper :p.

So far I am just playing, no ambitious recording here. But I will see how far I get with Ardour with Reaper as potential alternative. Don't know yet whether I will record MIDI or audio. I guess the "keyboard nerds" use to record MIDI whenever they deal with VSTs?
I used to do "classical" music recording. For that I used Magix Sequoia because of the excellent editing features, but it is very expensive. To edit rock music, I anticipate that Ardour or Reaper will be enough^^.
I use Reaper and I've had no issues in the 10 years or so that I've been using it. I did need to watch a video to get the MIDI configured but it was easy, just not real intuitive for me since I had no previous experience using MIDI. The availability of virtual instruments to me is just astounding. For very little outlay I have what seems like more sounds than I could ever use including pianos, organs, synths, orchestral, percussion, etc, etc. One advantage to recording MIDI is that, if you're a hack like me, you can edit the recorded notes easily or even change to a completely different instrument, or layer instruments.

Ask a Question