New Juno DS 76, should be easy, IS NOT

Reaction score
Hello,

All I want to do...,ALL I WANT TO DO...is record a percussion track that I will then cue up and play live under a piano track that I also want to play live. I believe this should be easy. It is not.

After a couple hours of reading the manual and looking at youtube videos, I figured out how to record a rhythm pattern. Sigh.

Now, I can't figure out how to cue up that pattern so that I can play piano over the top of it. This should not be hard. What am i missing?

I recorded my rhythm pattern under USER 01, pad 1. Now what in the world do I need to press to get that rhythm pattern to play on demand. I play in a live band- I thought this keyboard would let me put more bells and whistles into my live playing.... right?! Help!

Reaction score
Did I go about this the wrong way? Am I supposed to record my rhythm pattern by playing the JUNO into my computer recording software, then put that little rhythm track onto a USB stick, then plug that into the JUNO, then call up that file using the Juno's audio button, THEN i can play piano over the top of they rhythm I recorded?

Can't I use the synth recording/pad functions and the live playing functions simultaneously? Can't I quickly record a some bells and whistles, then cue them up and play them back while I simultaneously play live keyboard over the top of it? Surely!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, @marialinda!

I expect one of our resident Roland users will be along soon to sort you out.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own a DS88 but never use the sequencer myself.

However you might get quicker help posting this over at the Rolandclan forums.

There are a few people here who could help you but it might take a while for them to read this and post a reply.

Incidentally just off the top of my head did you hit the Rhythm Pattern Button and then the Play/Pause/Transport button to activate the sequencer for pl;ayback?

It really could be that simple.

Happy holidays and welcome aboard.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Here's a video demonstration of how the pattern sequencer works. The drums aren't the first thing he puts down, but he gets there. I assume you could do nothing but drums, and let them continue to play while you play (but don't record) piano. The video doesn't get into the details, but you might get the gist of how to approach it.

Reaction score
Roland have more than one Youtube channel.

In addition to the channel in Scott’s post they have another called Product Support.

It is in the Product Support channel that you will find the How To video’s such as

There are a lot to choose from (19) and hence you will probably find them useful in learning about your Juno.

Only downside is that they are not listed in a logical order but they are all very good.

I watched all 19 videos two or three times to get an understanding of the Roland menu system prior to me auditioning a Juno back to back with a Korg Kross2.

Last edited:

Ask a Question