New Keyboard Forums Software & Design?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We've been considering upgrading the forum software used on Keyboard Forums, as there are some improvements that can be made use of if we upgrade software. However, to do this we'd need to change the design of the forums as it would be a fairly major bit of coding.

The sorts of improvements that would be most visible are things like improvement attachment uploading, better video/audio file integration, optional inline notifications for more things (for example, knowing when someone quotes your post), speed improvements, etc...

I've done a "test" upgrade and it works well, but I wanted to run a few possible design ideas past you all - as if it's not considered an improvement from a user perspective, then I'll leave things as-is :).

I've posted 3 screenshots of example designs below, so I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on them.

Attachments

• Idea1.jpg
    Idea1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 587
  • Idea2.jpg
    Idea2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 575
  • Idea3.jpg
    Idea3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 552

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys - appreciate the replies :). That's two votes for #3 so far, I'll give it a couple more days and see if we get any other votes before going with one.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Actually form a purely functional perspective, I get the feeling "new posts" is purely new posts since my last vist.

Are you able to enable the option of having
"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."

Thanks
The Y-man

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like the picture at the top is different. The rest looks the same. Is the picture the only difference?

The picture at the top is the only difference between those 3 templates, but the new software is quite different to the current one :). Any preference of the design ideas?

Actually form a purely functional perspective, I get the feeling "new posts" is purely new posts since my last vist.

Are you able to enable the option of having
"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."

Thanks
The Y-man

As it happens, that's one of the big benefits of the new software - only threads that have been read will not appear on the list (or, you can mark the forums as read as desired). You're correct in that "new posts" is just posts since the last visit at the moment (so that's a good change with the new software).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry for throwing another in to the mix, but here's one more for voting on:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 575

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. So far all votes have been for number 3 - so pending any other feedback and so on, I'll perform the upgrade early next week (Monday or Tuesday).

It shouldn't take long to do and will add lots of extra new features.

If you've got any other comments about the design, ideas for improvements or thoughts on new forum categories, then please do let me know - as I can add them in time for launch :).

Reaction score
I did think of something else. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it would be helpful for the user to click on a link that would take him or her to every post (and threads) they posted in the order they were posted. I can't seem to figure out how to do it right now.

Thanks Ian

Reaction score
Hej spdam,

I think you should press 'Quick Links' and then in the new window 'Subscribes threads'

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I did think of something else. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it would be helpful for the user to click on a link that would take him or her to every post (and threads) they posted in the order they were posted. I can't seem to figure out how to do it right now.

Thanks Ian
Yep, that can be done in the new software (although the method mentioned by goldi5210 will also work).

If there are any more design comments, just let me know by tomorrow as that's when I'll start work :)

The Y_man

Reaction score
As it happens, that's one of the big benefits of the new software - only threads that have been read will not appear on the list (or, you can mark the forums as read as desired). You're correct in that "new posts" is just posts since the last visit at the moment (so that's a good change with the new software).

It's working beautifully! Thanks Ian.

The Y-man

Ask a Question