New Keyboard Player Info

Reaction score
Hi, i have never played an instrument before and I decided to start with the keyboards. I am 19 years old and I am gonna be quite dedicated on learning the instrument with the help of my teacher. I have two questions, however, that I need answers for:
Firstly, could you recommend me a keyboard(i have a budget of 250 dollars)
And secondly, since I am really into 80's pop-electronic music(the likes of Alphaville, A-ha, Modern Talking, Duran Duran are some of my favorites), are those kind of songs relatively ''easy" to be played on the keyboards? And when will I start to be able to play such songs?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Welcome.

For $250 a few options are:-
Roland Go Keys @ $300
Casio WK X3000 @ $300 (new model)
Casio CT K6200 @ $200
Yamaha PSR E363 @ $180

Factor in $25 for a keyboard double X stand, $15 for a stool, and as many books as you can get from the list on Gary’s thread

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/good-tutorial-links.24556/

All the music you quote are possible to play along with as thousands of songs can be simplified to about three chords (three notes played at the same time) and these generally are referred to as 1, 4, 5.

Quick explanation.
The keyboard is set up in a series of repearting octaves, and within an octave there are the notes A, B, C, D, E, F, G (white keys) the difference between one C note and the next one to the right is an octave, same to its left hence repeating octave.

Now for our 1, 4, 5 chord progression if the song is in the key of C and that is given the number 1, and D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5, A=6, B=7. Then our 1, 4, 5 chord progression is the chords C, F and G. If another song is in the key of F then start the count with F=1 so the 1,4,5 becomes F, B, C.

With any three chords any Duran Duran song is possible ;-)

Enjoy the learning journey.

Reaction score
Just keeping it simple for the op guy Cowboy.

Not as though a Duran Duran song would sound much different between a B and a Bb.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
There is a HUGE difference between B and Bb.
Example . .
MY WAY . .Paul Anka wrote it and made famous by Frank Sinatra.

I have the sheet music and on it at one part suggests to play chord B . . "When I bit off (Bb) more than I could chew"

Obviously this is wrong as it sounds ridiculous in B major. So I suspect this is a typo. I have check out other official sheet music of this song at music shops and they all have the same error.
That tune is in the key of F so there is the clue. Bb.
So Col, You were trying to simplify it for the beginner OP but giving incorrect advice can be rather confusing.
Having said that.. good advice about the 3 chords 3 keys sonario.
Ray

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi mt1999
Considering your age, you might want to consider the yamaha psr 433. It has a "dj pattern" which would excite you.:)
This kb will take you a little over budget but not too much.
Also it would be ideal for learning from scratch and will suffice you for many years before even considering upgrade.

Check this out . .

Cheers ray

Reaction score
Hi mt1999

Considering your age, you might want to consider the yamaha psr 433.

Cheers ray
Do not know what they sell Down Under but the 433 has been discontinued for years.

Its replacement the 443 is also discontinued.

Current model (at least in the UK) is the PSR E 453 which is $280 at Sweetwater.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I did not think about it being discontinued. But even so the E453 would be an excellent model (even better) for @mt1999 to consider. Much cheaper @ $280 than what I thought.
Ray

Reaction score
I did not think about it being discontinued. But even so the E453 would be an excellent model (even better) for @mt1999 to consider. Much cheaper @ $280 than what I thought.
Ray
Its a fair amount of keyboard for the cash, I had a 353 for a while but hated the feel, the sound, the quirky menu. The 453 series is a much better sounding piece of kit but to me it still has a major problem its a Yamaha aimed at a newbie market, to get new users hooked on the brand.

I had a discussion with someone last week who wanted a cheap low quality keyboard for a newbie, they argued that something more complicated would put the newbie off, they could not see that surely something that sounds good and has growth potential would be a better buy! To each their own I suppose.

Reaction score
Go used.

I just sold my aging Roland fantom s for 250.

Still much better board than anything new in that price range. Does 80s stuff as well as anything that isnt analogue or va.

Ask a Question