New keyboard/synth advice

Reaction score
I'm David from Scotland, and I've been learning to play a digital piano since earlier this year, after starting with an old second hand Yamaha PSR keyboard. My brother started learning guitar around the same time. The digital piano is too heavy to carry around, so at the moment if I visit him to play (or attempt to play together!), I take the old Yamaha. It does feel and sound pretty cheap, so I'm looking for something better, but not exactly sure what!

A lot of keyboards seem like more cheap beginner/toy type ones, whereas synth/workstation type ones from Roland/Korg etc seem to have tons of buttons and features where I wouldn't know where to start! I'd really just like a half-decent 61 (probably) key portable keyboard that's a bit more "grown-up" than a Casio/Yamaha type one many beginners start with. I don't want to spend too much, maybe up to about £250 for something used. Any suggestions?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
a bit more "grown-up" than a Casio/Yamaha type one many beginners start with

Yamaha and Casio both have high class renowned products. They are not toys. Where did that idea come from? :eek: Don't discount them by any means. Many professional musos use Yamahas and Casios. Korg and Roland and others are no better or worse.

£250 is a good start and will get you a half decent keyboard for home use and jamming with your brother.
I cannot speak for the UK market but @Biggles here is right up to scratch with it and he will no doubt chip in with some great suggestions. Wait for his response.

Best thing to do also is check the various brands and models from your local music store. When you get a clearer picture of whats what, maybe look on ebay for second hand.

Welcome to the forums anyway.

Ray

Reaction score
Thanks Ray! I maybe didn't phrase that well, I am aware that Casio/Yamaha make some good stuff, I was just meaning their cheaper ones with built-in lessons, light up keys etc. I've been having a browse at what is available online, something similar to a Roland Juno DS61 or Korg Kross look like the type of thing I think I want - plenty of features, but not too complicated! There was a used Korg X50 for sale locally recently, but I'm aware that it's not as new. I'm not sure how reliable/good sounding older ones are?

Reaction score
I play (learning) on A Juno DS61, and so far so good. Learning more of the functions as I go along and it seems like a keeper KB. I have never played the field much (keyboards) so I really can't comment of many. I think another good choice, which I did have the 49 key version, is the Yamaha MX61.

Reaction score
Ray cued me in so here I am.

£250 is not really that much to spend on a keyboard but lets see what we can suggest.

A Yamaha PSR E463 is c£250, but it is the top of the beginner range.

A Casio Ct X3000 is c£250 and arguably a better keyboard.

Also in that price range is a Roland which has 2 versions a GoPiano and a GoKeys. I have played the GoKeys at the PMT megastore in Salford and was impressed with it, I also had a few minutes in another store on the Casio I mentioned above and was impressed with that but not as much as with the Roland.

So please check out the reviews of the Roland and you will probably be impressed.

The Rolands are 61 keys and very transportable, they like the Yamaha and Casios have inbuilt amp and speakers.

Now there is a serious new kid on the block which should blow all the above out of the water. Korg have just announced their EX50 which should retail at less than £300 but for that sum you will get the best keyboard in the price range by a country mile. Unfortunately it is likely to be a couple of months before it is available in the UK.

You will progress and in a while will probably want to upgrade in which case I will add in a bit on the next stage, or this if you can squeeze together some more cash.

Roland Juno DS61 and Korg Kross 2 also a 61 key unit, both of these are excellent synth/workstations and are very adaptable and seriously great to play. The downside is that there is no inbuilt amp, a plus is that they are both way lighter than an Arranger keyboard with the Kross 2 being about 60% the weight of the Juno. I have a Kross 2 and a small Boss Katana amp that I easily transport around.

Have a look at the Korg Video Manuals for the Kross 2 on Youtube and the video tutorials will give you a good idea of the capabilities of these synth/workstations. I am not suggesting the the Korg is the best but they do have the best video tutorials.

I really think that for a group a synth/workstation would probably be the best option if you can afford one.

Yes these have a lot if functions but for basic use the individual instrument sounds are easily selected and a multitude of preset combinations of layered instrument sounds are inbuilt and additional ones can easily be created and saved. The other functions can be learned in a drip feed fashion.

If you have a Music Store within a reasonable distance then a visit to them will benefit you with hands on playing.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Ray cued me in so here I am.

£250 is not really that much to spend on a keyboard but lets see what we can suggest.

A Yamaha PSR E463 is c£250, but it is the top of the beginner range.

A Casio Ct X3000 is c£250 and arguably a better keyboard.

Also in that price range is a Roland which has 2 versions a GoPiano and a GoKeys. I have played the GoKeys at the PMT megastore in Salford and was impressed with it, I also had a few minutes in another store on the Casio I mentioned above and was impressed with that but not as much as with the Roland.

So please check out the reviews of the Roland and you will probably be impressed.

The Rolands are 61 keys and very transportable, they like the Yamaha and Casios have inbuilt amp and speakers.

Now there is a serious new kid on the block which should blow all the above out of the water. Korg have just announced their EX50 which should retail at less than £300 but for that sum you will get the best keyboard in the price range by a country mile. Unfortunately it is likely to be a couple of months before it is available in the UK.

You will progress and in a while will probably want to upgrade in which case I will add in a bit on the next stage, or this if you can squeeze together some more cash.

Roland Juno DS61 and Korg Kross 2 also a 61 key unit, both of these are excellent synth/workstations and are very adaptable and seriously great to play. The downside is that there is no inbuilt amp, a plus is that they are both way lighter than an Arranger keyboard with the Kross 2 being about 60% the weight of the Juno. I have a Kross 2 and a small Boss Katana amp that I easily transport around.

Have a look at the Korg Video Manuals for the Kross 2 on Youtube and the video tutorials will give you a good idea of the capabilities of these synth/workstations. I am not suggesting the the Korg is the best but they do have the best video tutorials.

I really think that for a group a synth/workstation would probably be the best option if you can afford one.

Yes these have a lot if functions but for basic use the individual instrument sounds are easily selected and a multitude of preset combinations of layered instrument sounds are inbuilt and additional ones can easily be created and saved. The other functions can be learned in a drip feed fashion.

If you have a Music Store within a reasonable distance then a visit to them will benefit you with hands on playing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, I'll get looking into them! I have the digital piano for when I'm at home, hence not wanting to spend too much on something that I might not use too often.
I was thinking about getting an amp/speakers (as built in speakers get drowned out by my brother's guitar amp!) so something like the Kross 2 could be an option. Do you think the original Kross or another slightly older one be worth looking at if a used one comes up for sale, or does it make sense to stick to something newer? Cheers!

Reaction score
If you go to a couple of Music Stores and ask what they have in their Trade In stock, you never know what they will have.

Avoid buying used since without checking that everything works you are at risk.

Korgs and Rolands are very good keyboards as is the more upmarket Yamahas

Or if you do not mind taking a risk there is a Kross on eBay now, it has 3 days left, supposedly in full working order, I have bought and sold instruments off eBay myself and had to return a couple, I still have a guitar I bought and one I sold was badly damaged in transit. Either way there is buyer protection and the seller has to pay for the return but as I said its still a risk.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
go to a couple of Music Stores and ask what they have in their Trade In stock, you never know what they will have.
That's what I did and saved a few hundred dollars on my PSR S 650. Bought it for roughly $500 at the time when the PSR S 670 was just being released on the market for over a $1,000.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
In my first response post to this thread I suggested ebay. But I want to retract that. Yes second hand is an option but I would not buy on ebay snd have it sent to me. I would personally want to test each and every key and function physically hands on.
. .cautious Ray

Reaction score
Ray

I think that the new Korg EK50 has the potential so it may be worth the Op looking further into it. If nothing else in a few years time it would be a good backup/second on stage keyboard.

The eBay Kross is at £120 already so in three days time it could be easily over £200 and hence not that far off what the new Korg EK50 will be

Edit
Sorry made mistake in earlier post with the new Korg model reference, it is the EK50 and not the EX50

Here is a demo of it in one of my local music stores, at the end they say it will be in store at the end of the month, which in Korg speak probably means mid October.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Fotunately, I have not suffered the GAS syndrome, but some of the new generation Keys are tempting. Mine is getting out dated (slightly) and may be time for an upgrade. But I love it so much:rolleyes:.
I am taking notes on the new models (a lot of your advice Col). One day soon I will visit the music stores again and refresh.
So back to @goranmagdic . . Take your time looking around and make it an enjoyable shopping experience. Ask plenty of questions and test drive all the options and brands. That's what I will be doing.
Cheers Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth here, but the original Kross had pretty shitty ratings.

Specifically fit and finish and quality of the keyboard.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still haven't got round to buying a new keyboard, but I'm considering a Roland Juno DS61 that I've seen for sale locally. It doesn't look like it comes with a music rest? Does anyone know if there are any solutions, such as a clip on one? As a beginner, I've always got a book or a tablet nearby to reference!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, you didn't mention what country you are in. I currently have my DS61 up for sale on Craigslist and Kijiji and I'm curious if the one you are looking at is mine or not?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Great choice in the DS

Suggest getting a separate music stand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-B...&srs=3789035031&ie=UTF8&qid=1538496519&sr=1-2

I have one of the above, it is very substantial and will last for years, I use one of these with my Kross 2.

One benefit of these is that there are arm extensions that fold out and so two books or four sheets can be accomodated.

For a Tablet I have a holder that is fitted to a substantial microphone stand

I did originally buy a cheap music stand but it is very flimsy and can only support sheet music so please bear this in mind.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wish people would fill in the location on their profiles when they start posting so I don't have to read back through weeks of postings just to find out what country they are asking for. :p

It would also help a lot with people asking tech advice or new purchase recommendations.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Oops, location added to my profile now :p I think a separate music stand may be the best option if I decide to get the Juno. I always take forever to decide on things! Although it only took me a few minutes to choose a new £15 melodica from Amazon!

Reaction score
In my first response post to this thread I suggested ebay. But I want to retract that. Yes second hand is an option but I would not buy on ebay snd have it sent to me. I would personally want to test each and every key and function physically hands on.
. .cautious Ray

If you don't mind having the hassle of shipping something back eBay has a great refund/return policy so i wouldn't completely rule out eBay as you can get some great deals. I think trying every key and function is a little excessive but i understand where you are coming from.

Ask a Question