New keyboarding with looping feature

Reaction score
I’m new to playing the piano and have only been playing for 2 months. All I need from a new keyboard would be the ‘looping’ feature so I can record a piece then play it back as I play another. Any recommendations would be much appreciated as I don’t want to blow £500+ on a keyboard just to get this ‘looping’ feature. (No clue what the technical term is)

Reaction score
Welcome.

What keyboard do you have?

Many digital pianos have a recording feature that you can use as a very basic looper.

If you have an iPad then there are looper apps like Jam Looper that you can use. Connect up to your keyboard via an Apple Camera Adapter and you are good to go for less than $50 if you have to buy an adaptor

Reaction score
Welcome.

What keyboard do you have?

Many digital pianos have a recording feature that you can use as a very basic looper.

If you have an iPad then there are looper apps like Jam Looper that you can use. Connect up to your keyboard via an Apple Camera Adapter and you are good to go for less than $50 if you have to buy an adaptor
I have a psr 175 Yamaha I think it’s probably too old to be compatible with apple cable

Reaction score
Jacky

I have just looked at the manual for your keyboard and it des not have Recording referenced in the main Index so it looks like you are out of luck.

Your keyboard does have MIDI in and out ports and to use these with a Computer will require an adaptor and a steep learning curve.

The 175 does not have and input connection hence the option of using an external Boss Looper would require additional equipment to amplify and output the Looped content. The cost of this would be over and above the cost of the Looper.

Have you tried simply recording yourself playing using a mobile or tablet and using that device to playback so you can then play along.

Keyboards of similar function as your 175 do tend to have limited recording and playback functions. If you checkout Yamaha PSR EW410/465 or S675 or Korg Pa600 / 300 then these may have the features you seek.

I know that a Korg Pa 700 does have the features you seek, it is an Arranger similar to Yamaha models but it does retail for about £1000, There is an equivalent Yamaha in the SX700 but I am unsure of its inbuilt recording capabilities

Reaction score
Jacky

I have just looked at the manual for your keyboard and it des not have Recording referenced in the main Index so it looks like you are out of luck.

Your keyboard does have MIDI in and out ports and to use these with a Computer will require an adaptor and a steep learning curve.

The 175 does not have and input connection hence the option of using an external Boss Looper would require additional equipment to amplify and output the Looped content. The cost of this would be over and above the cost of the Looper.

Have you tried simply recording yourself playing using a mobile or tablet and using that device to playback so you can then play along.

Keyboards of similar function as your 175 do tend to have limited recording and playback functions. If you checkout Yamaha PSR EW410/465 or S675 or Korg Pa600 / 300 then these may have the features you seek.

I know that a Korg Pa 700 does have the features you seek, it is an Arranger similar to Yamaha models but it does retail for about £1000, There is an equivalent Yamaha in the SX700 but I am unsure of its inbuilt recording capabilities
Hahaha ye I think £1000 is a bit out of my range! Do u think I could just grab a cheaper Yamaha keyboard and stick a looper app/ attachment on separate?

Reaction score
Jackie.

At playing for two months you have only just started and if you take my advice you will concentrate on learning the craft.

There are plenty of Backing Tracks or even the Original Recording that you can play along with if you so choose, additionally there are plenty of websites that transcribe songs so you can easily use these top find out the chords and progressions used.

Meanwhile look at what is available in the market and save up some more cash, I certainly would not be going out there spending £80 on a Looper and another £150 on a reasonable pair of powered Monitor Speakers, cash spent on a keyboard upgrade will serve you much better in the long tern than add on accessories.

When this CV19 has settled down some more and you have done your research do have a trip to a well stocked Music Store and see what they can offer.

From your quote of £500 you are somewhere in the UK and unless you are in the wilds of Scotland then a well stocked Music Store is likely to be within easy reach. I live in Lancashire and there are about 20 stores within 1 hour travel that I can visit if required.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a keyboard that ticks all the boxes except budget. You'd have to scrape together a few more pennies to get this one but it would do exactly what you need it to do.

If you decide to break down and take your music seriously this would be a good start.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Jackie.

At playing for two months you have only just started and if you take my advice you will concentrate on learning the craft.

There are plenty of Backing Tracks or even the Original Recording that you can play along with if you so choose, additionally there are plenty of websites that transcribe songs so you can easily use these top find out the chords and progressions used.

Meanwhile look at what is available in the market and save up some more cash, I certainly would not be going out there spending £80 on a Looper and another £150 on a reasonable pair of powered Monitor Speakers, cash spent on a keyboard upgrade will serve you much better in the long tern than add on accessories.

When this CV19 has settled down some more and you have done your research do have a trip to a well stocked Music Store and see what they can offer.

From your quote of £500 you are somewhere in the UK and unless you are in the wilds of Scotland then a well stocked Music Store is likely to be within easy reach. I live in Lancashire and there are about 20 stores within 1 hour travel that I can visit if required.
Thanks for your help biggles and ye your probably right I think I’ll take your advice and wait. Funnily enough tho I’m from the highlands of Scotland . I’ll happily make the trip in the future to a shop though and again appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Here's a keyboard that ticks all the boxes except budget. You'd have to scrape together a few more pennies to get this one but it would do exactly what you need it to do.

If you decide to break down and take your music seriously this would be a good start.

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary I’ll keep the keyboard in my basket until Christmas and treat myself haha. Also thanks for the video I had a feeling I’d be back here later when I got the equipment asking for help on how to use lol.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help biggles and ye your probably right I think I’ll take your advice and wait. Funnily enough tho I’m from the highlands of Scotland . I’ll happily make the trip in the future to a shop though and again appreciate your help.

The Highlands, a magical place.

We used to travel up to The Cairngorms many times a year to ski and to..... well partake of the amber nectar.

Our last trip up to God’s country was to Stirling in 2018 to see The Last Dance, Runrig’s final concert. What an experience, magical yet sad that it was the end of the road for them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Gary I’ll keep the keyboard in my basket until Christmas and treat myself haha. Also thanks for the video I had a feeling I’d be back here later when I got the equipment asking for help on how to use lol.

Not sure how you guys are dealing with Brexit right now but prices could skyrocket once the border closures go into effect.

You may want to reconsider how long you're willing to wait. :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question