New Korg Krome!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This showed up in my inbox today. Korg's released a new intermediate line of synths based on the Kronos.

Things I like...

88 key version, 4 Gigs of Sample Memory, Separate Drum and Arpeggiator controls, Touch Screen Control Panel, Supposedly plays nicely with computerized DAWs. Street prices between $899 for the 61 Key version and $1699 for the 88 Key Version.

Things I don't like.

Apparently no sign of any on board sampler.

I've been seriously considering upgrading from my TR76 to a Yamaha moX8 but this thing looks like a beast. Or else I may wait til the next NAMM show and see what Yamaha comes out with this spring.

Reaction score
The pianos should be good on the Krome since it has such a large PCM memory. Korg really do seem to have moved the game on there. Disappointing that it's "just" a ROMpler, though. I guess they needed to leave some features out to justify the price of the Kronos, but sampled organ is always going to be a disappointment given how good modeled organs are these days.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm anticipating a whole bunch of bad puns about "Another Kromey synth from Korg..." :D :D :D

Anyway, like I said, the huge ROM sounds great but I still think I'll wait til next winter's NAMM Show to see what Yamaha comes out with to compete.

I would really like to get myself a proper 88 Key weighted keyboard that won't end up breaking the bank.

Reaction score
Kudos to Korg for offering software-grade pianos and drums,a 7" full color display and seamless PC integration for a budget price,but I'm really worried that the Krome's synth sounds are going to be no better than that of the M50.o_O

Reaction score
As I understand it, the Krome uses the existing EDS engine from the M50, but enhanced with new (huge and superb) piano samples taken from the Kronos.

Actually Korg are calling the engine in the Krome the "EDS-X" engine. I would expect that the synth sounds are identical to the EDS engine in the M50, and the X (eXpanded) just refers to the new Kronos piano samples, but maybe there have been improvements in the basic synth sounds as well... but I doubt it.

Basically, the Krome is an expanded, updated M50, and NOT a cut-down Kronos.

Ask a Question