New Kronos?

Should Kronos owners start saving money for the Kronos replacement coming next year?

• Total voters

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
On a different forum, there's been some discussion that Korg will be releasing a replacement for the Kronos sometime next year. Given that no one has given the Kronos a run for the money yet -- and yet, I'm including the Montage in that statement -- and that apparently people are less interested in Workstations than other keyboards, I'm not sure I see Korg's motivations for spending a lot of R&D money on a product area that they're already dominating in.

Or am I missing something?

Is there any real evidence that there's going to be a Kronos Next Generation or Kronos Killer or something like that coming from Korg? Or is it just wishful thinking?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
More likely they'll just release a "Kronos X3" or some other incremental upgrade rather than any sort of groundbreaking new machine.

You're probably safe even buying a first generation machine.

Then again personally I'd be leery of buying any keyboard with a totally ridiculous boot time of over two minutes.

I mean Jeez Louise, if the thing were to crash during a performance the set would be finished before it rebooted :D :D :D

Korg junkies may find that acceptable but I honestly can't take a keyboard seriously that takes 4X longer to boot up than my 6 year old netbook running Linux.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I own an original Kronos 73, and yes it takes about one and a half beers to boot up....and while it is awesome and I love to play and use it for recording I do not gig with it. I have a Roland VR-09 for playing live. Great sounds and 12....count'em 12 lbs! Sweet

Reaction score
I own an original Kronos 73, and yes it takes about one and a half beers to boot up....and while it is awesome and I love to play and use it for recording I do not gig with it. I have a Roland VR-09 for playing live. Great sounds and 12....count'em 12 lbs! Sweet
Same here. Not optimal for giging but for me, the wait time is totally worth it!

Reaction score
re boot time. Make sure you have a UPS for the Kronos in case power goes down. $80 , problem solved. ;-)

Reaction score
Korg junkies may find that acceptable but I honestly can't take a keyboard seriously that takes 4X longer to boot up than my 6 year old netbook running Linux.

Gary ;)

It's not that bad. Turn it on and then go take a dump, wank, check out the forums, or make some toast.. You can even get your other gear fired up and configured while you wait.

Or turn your nose up because of the boot time. Your loss. I have over 30 synths, and the Kronos is thecrème de la crème. The sound and functionality of the Kronos is worth the boot time wait.

Me thinks you need to work on your patience.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
When assembling your rig at a gig, put up the stand. Then put the Kronos on the stand. Then plug and turn on in the UPS. Then plug in and turn on the Kronos.

THEN put the rest of the stuff together. If you get your speakers in place, connected, and turned on before the Kronos boots, I'll buy you a beer. (This assumes that you have a real simple set up.) If you get your speakers in place AND your other keyboards and mixer etc. all set up before the Kronos boots, I'll buy you a fancy mixed drink. (They cost more.)

At your home studio, you're just stuck. Go get that beer I just bought you. Or reply to all your fan mail.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What do you do when something goes out of whack and you inevitably have to (as tech support so eloquently puts it) "turn it off and turn it back on again?" :p

:eek:
:D
:cool:
:mad:
:rolleyes:
o_O

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
What do you do when something goes out of whack and you inevitably have to (as tech support so eloquently puts it) "turn it off and turn it back on again?"

Hasn't happened yet. When it does, I'll do my best Peter Gabriel impression. (First rock concert I went to was Genesis in the early 1970s, when Peter had long introductions to the songs.)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When you're all MIDIed up with 5 or 6 devices like my home studio is, trust me, every once in a while something goes kerflooey with the MIDI settings and a reboot is the quickest way to fix it.

With the Kronos I'd have to venture that's gotta be the SLOWEST way to fix it :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My Kronos is over six years old and so far, crossing my fingers here and drinking tea not beer, yet, nothing has ever gone wrong when gigging. Usually it's my only keyboard so if it does go for a poop, I'm screwed. But then I also figure that if it does, well, kaka occurs.
As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely nothing that is even near the same ballpark as the Korg Kronos. The other big name manufacturers haven't even tried to compete with it. And why would they? As far as I know, none of them have as wide a product line as Korg does.

Ask a Question