New old guy here-

Reaction score
Hi-
My name is bill and I'm a retired ancient guy having the pipe dream of putting together a typical, or maybe worse than most, 60s-80s 8 or 10 piece pop/rock
band. About a year ago, I picked up my guitar for the first time in decades and have been getting in at least an hour of practice every day. I'm still awful but
having fun. Been collecting instruments to help entice others to join in. 5 of these are keyboards- a couple 88 key pianos and 2 Roland synthesizers from
the 80s, an XP-50 and, more recently, an E-20. After unpacking the E-20 a few weeks ago, I ran over the keys and most of the performance-related functions
and it seemed fine. It had been sitting till today when an upper tier x-stand kbd attachment was dropped off. So the E-20 is set up above one of the 88 key
boards and of course I powered ON both of them and made a feeble attempt at playing but immediately something sounds pretty wrong. Holding my guitar
tuner next to one of the E-20 speakers shows that the entire range of keys is flat by 1/4 or 1/3 of a semi-tone. The tone bending lever seems to work correctly.
Not sure where to start looking. Anyone run into this before?

thanks in advance-
bill

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, @bille7!

Check to see if there's a system tuning function that lets you adjust the frequency of Concert A (i.e., the A above Middle C), sometimes called A440 because its standard tuning in the US is 440.0 Hz. Some people, I think especially in parts of Europe, like to tune Concert A to 432.0 Hz, and historically speaking it has been tuned across a wide range of frequencies. It's very common for electronic keyboards to have a function which lets you set the overall tuning of the notes by adjusting the tuning of Concert A between a certain range of frequencies.

Another possibility is that it's been transposed, but it doesn't sound like the tuning is far enough off for that. The fine tuning usually lets you adjust the tuning by plus-or-minus 1 semitone or less; e.g., on my Yamaha models it's about plus-or-minus 50 cents or half of a semitone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks SeaGt-

AM downloading the manual and it'll be the first thing I check. My Snark guitar tuner shows each key 3 or 4 shades low.
Thanks again and will post back when I find out-

cheers,
bill

Reaction score
I am oafus. Thank you again for the info- it's once again in tune. At least it's a relief!

thanks again & cheers,
b

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm glad I was able to point you in the right direction! :)

Ask a Question