Reaction score
Hallo, my name is Han and I live in Curaçao
in the Caribic.
I am going to buy a keyboard but I still don't
know wich one. Here there is not much choice,
above all Yamaha and Casio. Probably it will be
the Yamaha DGX-220 or Casio WK-3300.
On this forum one member qualifies Casio as bad,
but I've read positive things about the new WK serie.
Yesterday I posted a question about this in 'the
knowledge base' topic 'need some advice'

with regards
Han

Reaction score
Welcome!
It really is amazing, it seems we have members from all over the world. Hopefully you can find the keyboard you are looking for.
What type of music are you interested in? Do you have any previous music experience or are you just starting out?

Reaction score
I used to play the piano (classical music).
Never played keyboard before.
Now I want to play different kinds of music.
Roland and Korg on this moment is not available here.
I want 76 keys, so Yamaha DGX-220 or
the Casio WK3300 is the only choice (unless I buy on the internet).
So my question was: Is the Casio so bad
(or much less as the Yamaha) as I read on this forum ?

For me the most important is realistic sounds.

Han

Reaction score
I guess I'm the one talking bad about casio, and that's becuase it's junk...toys, no offence...Go for the Yamaha it's really nice I've got the yamaha dgx 505 the diffrence is 88 keys and it's great I think =)

Reaction score
They used to name Casio keyboards toys.
They are catching up now. I read many positive
things in reviews about Casio's. Maybe they
didn't compare the sound with f.i. Yamaha,
wich is generally qualified as (little) better than Casio.
I think I will go for the DGX-220

Han

Reaction score
The Casio WK-series seem to get a lot of positive reviews, and quite frankly, I'm curious as to how good they really sound. I've got to try out one of those sometime soon, just to experience the changes myself.

Yamaha has not disappointed me in anyway as of yet, so go for the Yamaha:D

And btw; welcome to the forum!

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Yamaha - no questions about it!

The thing is Korg and Yamaha are actually the same company and they
make keyboards in a way when one Korg generation makes a big step,
Yamaha follows and tags along, the next generation turns around, so Korg
tags along, but the "big" features are always different.

What Yamaha has, Korg doesn't, and the other way around.

About the "toys" keyboards... Well... most of the PSR series are toys except
the high-end PSRs like PSR2000/3000 or the new PSR s700/900 but those are
all arrangers.

Since you are a beginner, any mid-range PSR will do, but since there is no PSRs with 76 keys you are way better of with the DGX then with any Casio.

Yamaha is well known for their BEST acoustic sound samples so just go for it. :)

Reaction score
Another thing Yamaha has going for them is aside from keyboards they make a wide range of other instruments, so although some might argue against it, they should know more about instruments than Casio since they have such a great instrument production backbone. Must be why they have such better acoustic sounding sounds as Sysryn said :D.

I should note I'm not a Yamaha zealot. I just have respect for them.

Atleast, I would make my final decisions based on reasonig like that. Research is still your best friend, find out which models are available, look at the product specs of the ones in your budget range, know what you are looking for(sequencer/synth/sampler/sounds etc...), read lots of reviews(both biased and unbiased), go to youtube or do google searches for sound samples, you'd be suprised what you can find.

The last step is trying to play on the thing before you buy it. Although I can somewhat understand your pain with availability(South Africa ain't that great), luckily most brands/products are available here through one of the shops close by, but I couldn't play on the keyboard I bought before I bought it since it is a hassle to get it here, but it's not like I had doubts about one of Yamaha's best keyboards(S90 ES):D. Youtube helped me there by having quite a few samples with different sounds.

Anothing thing after having a general idea of what is available is to make a list of priorities of features that you want your keyboard to have. For me the Yamaha S90 ES fitted my want/don't want list perfectly.

As a parting note, usually with new computer technologies and hardware, it is a good idea to wait for other people to buy and try things out and let whatever new technology/product gain or lose some respectability(this way you aren't the one paying for making a risky choice). The way it is now, you can't really go wrong with Yamaha. You get what you pay for. With Casio I'm not so sure. Don't know much about them. I suppose my old Casio CTK-481 just left me with alot of negative feeling for them. If I knew what I know now I never would have bought it despite the 2nd-hand discount I got. It really is just a toy.

Ok, second parting note. Don't rush, let new information settle a bit, go over things and such. Waiting a week or two to make the right decision is better than making a bad decision and being stuck with what you bought. I remember going nuts with anticipation and desire, and the delivery time for the keyboard just made it worse, but I have no regrets at all about my choice.

hhmm, I ranted again. Oh well, welcome!

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha DGX-220, and I like it a lot :). I probably wouldn't be able to find a better one without looking at more expensive stuff, and what I've heard from reviews and stuff, it's one of the most price-worth keyboards, for those of us who are not yet that advanced users :)

Reaction score
Han,
Would you please update us on your decision and if you are happy with it?
I am in the same situation as you trying to decide over the two. The Casio seems better in terms of features and I want to buy it, but the two sticking points that are important to me seem to be:
1) the piano sound on Yamaha is better (but some people seem to think not)
2) Yamaha keys feel better. Is this true?

Thanks,
- Mike

Reaction score
I would say the keys on the DGX-220 is the weakest link on the keyboard, though I cannot compare them to the Casio, since I haven't tried it.
The black keys are a little thin, so it's pretty easy to slip, and since they're not weighted, they're a bit plastic-ish as well, which makes it even easier to slip.

Though if you prefer lightweighted keys over weighted ones, then that won't be a problem, probably. I didn't realize that I prefered weighted keys until some months after I bought it, though I'm not sure that you will find any keyboard with similar sounds with weighted keys for the cheap price that the DGX-220 costs.

The best would still be to try to find a store that has both keyboards, and compare them, to get your own oppinion.

Reaction score
I've played the Casio but not the Yamaha, so I'm not much help either. I would say that the Casio has good features and that the piano sounds are pretty good. The keys are pretty plasticy not weighted. I don't really slip on them, but that's probably because I'm used to them.

Ask a Question