New or Secondhand First Keyboard Max. £1k.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first thread here.;)

I came seeking advice on what I hope will be a longterm process of learning.... I am a guitarist and yet somewhat inspired by Sherinian, Johansen and others I decided I wanted to get into Keys for some different sounds, but equally I am enticed by all the other aspects of a board that makes it a great compositional tool... so I am going to take the plunge and buy one.:eek:

Ok Here goes:
I am looking for a pro level instrument.
I have listened to a lot of sounds and really like the Korg sounds.
I have a budget of no more than £800 unless really pushed. (which to be frank for all the technology in comparison to other pro instruments it is not bad....)

1] So do I go secondhand for a higher level instrument or new for new tech?
I have been looking at secondhand Triton LEs... and a new on free finance Korg Krome. I guess the tech moves on at a pace and new engines come out... opinions older machine, cheaper, or newer tech?

2] So I am open to any other keyboard suggestions, You Tube links of demos appreciated.

Cheers for you help.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Not a recomendation as such but things to keep in mind:
  • In comparison to top end guitars or amps, any keyboard (top end included) depreciates viciously
  • There are lots of things that can break on a keyboard unless you are a fan of electrical circuits (I guess that's why they do depreciate)
  • Parts and support aren't available forever...in fact significantly shorter than forever
Are you looking for a synth (making your own sounds) or a "workstation" types (one man band) thing?
The Y-man

Reaction score
Ah that is interesting Y. I did not really think too much on the electronics side of it... or the depreciation for that matter either....o_O

I am definitely looking for a workstation as I am going to spend a lot more time on creating everything as I am coming out of a band situation where I usually take riffs and vocal ideas to others.

Ask a Question