New PSR-SX900 user - few questions

yul

Reaction score
Hello gang!

Very happy 2nd hand user of the SX900. The condition was very good and wanted to have an arranger to spend time away from the computer.

First impressions : sounds are absolutely brilliant, even the hidden legacy waves have a lot to offer. So much to choose from. Obviously it will never allow the same flexibility in modulations like a PC does but the available options (legato, sustain modes, LFO and pitch bend etc.) allow for a lot of great performances.

I have no intention of using this as a one man band. I want to build tracks and songs with it which seems quite a good tool for this.

Few questions :

"Default" accompaniment : is the canned organ and bass sound always there until you select a style or registration? Not a big deal (I can turn it off) but it really stands out. The real accompaniments are vey good can't wait to build my own styles.

Production ready : since the main way of saving your work is via saving WAV to USB, this should be considered a final mix. Would one say that the SX900 has enough quality effects and polished sound to be an acceptable finished product? I would use my DAW for remaining vocals. I think it is good enough for this but wanted to hear others opinions about it.

I wish I could save individual tracks easily. Probably can be done one by one but not such feature. The USB midi out would have been great. I hear there is a way to get the Steinberg driver going but maybe this is not accurate.

Thanks!

Reaction score
The SX will have a default Style and associated Instruments set up to function when powered up, these will be very easily changed.

The link below will take you to the Yamaha page where all their tutorial videos are located.

Watching these will give you an understanding of how the SX performs.

Recording on an SX is not generally considered to be a strong feature compared to the Korg Pa models, you will note that Yamaha does not have a tutorial video on using the recording feature other than its looper.

yul

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually believe the save to WAV feature to be a big differentiator because Korg cannot do this.

Does Korg allow to save individual tracks? That would be a big difference right there.

I will check your videos however I am very fluent with the features now.

I am very curious to find out about how this keyboard can perform in a studio / non live setting for production.

Very hard to find such information.. Unless I made the wrong choice and bought something that is literally only made for parties and weddings.

Thanks

Reaction score
Korg are limited to MP3 only and I for one have whinged at them because of this.

Just because it has arranger features does not mean you have to use the inbuilt Styles.

You will find that you can layer the sounds in a similar manner to a workstation and customise them then save them as a Registration for easy call up

The only downside is the 61 keys which can be a bit limited with multiple “splits” if this is something of interest to you.

The SX are imo a quantum leap in quality over the S models and itbwill serve you well.

A Korg Pa saves to MIDI as standard watch the Korg Video manual tutorial on Recording for the Pa 1000 to see it in action.

Ask a Question