NEW roland AX-synth....aestiticly....ugly

Reaction score
i started playing keyboard 2 years ago after watching the most melodic solo ive ever heard, played on an AX-7. that really turned me on to keyboards. it was kinda a dispointment that roland discontinued the last keytar in production:eek:. i had enough sence to know that they were going to make a new one, because i think about 1 out of 5 active, live preforming keyboardist own one. I recently saw a "AX-synth" floating around the web....... it took me about 3 seconds to decide that either Roland has lost their mind, or that they releace VERY early concept models. this thing is HUGE, and looks down-right ugly. i thought the point of a keytar was to rock out with the guitarist, not to get laughed at...:confused:
just wanted to voice my opinion

Reaction score
I kinda like the shape, looks like a Great White Shark....lolz

When it actually comes out I am going to get one. I like that it will have it's own synth engine. Also, the old Ax7's are going to come down in price on the e-bay if your looking on getting one :)

Reaction score
I was looking at the new AX synth but im uncertain of the sounds it holds ,im not in too guitars sounds,if i wanted guitar sounds then why not purchase a real guitar lol...
although i like the features ,as for the older models like the AX 1 & 7 then yes the prices will have to drop on ebay for sure ,as sellers are asking for about £900 + for these models :mad:

if anyone want to trade for the ax1 or 7 let me know .

Reaction score
I actually think it looks really good, and I love that the keytars has returned! This is definitely second on my to-buy list, just want to get the M50 first. I've always wanted a keytar, and got quite sad when I realized they were all discontinued :(

Let's just hope they keep up the production of this one until I can afford it ^^

Reaction score
I was looking at the new AX synth but im uncertain of the sounds it holds ,im not in too guitars sounds,if i wanted guitar sounds thay why not purchase a real guitar lol...

Hahaha...cause I'm not a guitar player :)

Of course before even considering a purchase I will try it out first :)

Reaction score
I kinda like the look of it myself. It's not as pretty as the AX-7, but it's still nice. It is actually slightly bigger I think than even the old Roland AXIS, Casio AZ-1 and Korg RK-100 :eek: but it makes up for this by having 49 keys- hellovalot for a keytar. Only those Lync things match that. That's a big plus in my books.

That said, I have 2 concerns- 1 is the added synthesizer.. it's only going to be a sorta small one- not like a fantom or something. I question just how necessary it was to have it, what with the added weight and size... seems a tad pointless when many people can afford proper flagship synths... which sorta brings me to concern- 2: I had a look at the stats, and they say SIX hours of battery life! :eek: Not entirely practical! The AX-7 is supposed to have 20! Even my 20+ year old Casio AZ-1 has more battery life than this!

.... that said though it does come with rechargable batteries apparently (as well as a charger for them I assume :p)

Reaction score
I know what you mean about how it looks - personally I prefer the more 80's looking ones.
On the other hand I don't think it really matters how it looks; I'm just so pumped that someone's making keytars again! hopefully, if it's popular, other companies will follow suit.

Plus I think if they just made it look all 80's-y It'd be considered, like, a novelty - I think as much as keytars are entertaining and stuff, they still have a very practical application. I think roland want the new ones to be considered proper instruments and want to steer away from it being like, a stage prop.

adamGBB: you mentioned battery life; I was thinking, isn't the AX-7 just a MIDI controller? If so, maybe the AX-synth's demand for power comes mainly from, like, the built in synth and stuff - maybe if you used it just as a MIDI controller the batteries would last as long as the AX-7 ?

also, I was watching one of the demo's on youtube - I think it said the synth circuitry is just exactly the same as one from one of their normal keyboard models? -> I'm not sure which one, but that might give you an idea how it sounds...

Reaction score
Remember when musiciansfriend.com had the AX-7 for only a couple hundred bucks? Had my money ready and ordered it, but it had been discontinued. Next thing I know the darn things were going for outrageous amounts on ebay.
So when I found out Roland is coming out with the Axe Synth (July '09 for $1200?) I felt there is hope for the misunderstood keyboardists out there...(Had a Korg RK-1 years ago....didn't matter if you played chopsticks, people thought it was cool, still have a Roland AXIX from 1985 but no power supply if anyone has one).
Anyway....definitely the Roland Axe Synth is number one on my next purchase list, especially since it has it's own sounds (guitar wireless instead of the costly midi wireless) and the ability to change sounds with a laptop and usb. One of the bands I play in is an 80s band, and when I talk about getting a strap-on the band gives me a funny look....

Reaction score
One of the bands I play in is an 80s band, and when I talk about getting a strap-on the band gives me a funny look....

I wonder why they would do that? The strap on was totally 80s.

Me with my strap in :)

Attachments

• Totally80s small.jpg
    Totally80s small.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 476
Reaction score
also, I was watching one of the demo's on youtube - I think it said the synth circuitry is just exactly the same as one from one of their normal keyboard models? -> I'm not sure which one, but that might give you an idea how it sounds...

That's the Fantom-G sound Engine they have built in.
I'm SO getting one, pre-ordered it already :D

Reaction score
The Ax-Synth sounds are awesome :) Check also this link:

really not well played but the Wailing is really great.

Ask a Question