New to forum and keyboard...

Reaction score
I am a senior (ie. old man), and have been considering getting a keyboard for quite a while. When young, 12-15, I took accordion lessons. As kids do, I abandoned it. I don't remember much of any of it.

This morning I splurged and ordered a Yamaha DGX-660. So I'm going to take the plunge.

My main hobby for the past 50 years has been messing with old cars. When I retired, I bought one to rebuild. It took 3 years to finish it. The only reason I mention it is to preface my thoughts about a thread I'm considering for the forum here. When I built the car, I had a thread going on a car site, and posted pictures, and discussed with others what I was doing. That was as much entertainment as building the car.

So, with that in mind, I was thinking of doing that here. Of course no pics needed. But thought I would post occasionally about what I'm doing, what learning tools I"m using, and track my progress.

Does anyone think there'd be any interest in seeing a thread like that? If I found one here, I'd certainly be reading it. If so, which sub-forum should I post that in? I'm thinking most likely Beginners Corner, or General Keyboard Discussion. Only reason I mention possibly using General Keyboard Discussion is because I"m thinking it may get more views and possible interaction. Old timers may not go into Beginners Corner that much.

That's about all I have for now.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your DGX-660 after it comes. :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums MiddleC! I watched a promo for the DGX660 and it is a really nice keyboard. I think it will bring you hours of pleasure and entertainment. If you live in Florida, you are only a few hours from Michael and myself, but these forums actually have an international following. BTW, You don't look all that old to me. Again, Welcome!! Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment I am 71. I was in a car club down here. Seems most old car guys are old too. I would sit on at a meeting and think "I'm the same age as these old guys. Surely not!" To some extent you are as old as you feel.

I am a transplant in Florida. I grew up in Kansas City. Spent last 20 years in Lawrence Kansas (Go Jayhawks!)

I did quite a bit of research on keyboards. On one side of the coin I felt it was overkill for a beginner. But then I thought it had the features I hope to learn and take advantage of. I didn't notice many posts regatding the 660 here.

I did notice a lot of posts that were from folks outside of the U.S. As long sad they are English I'll be able to follow them.

BTW... my name is Roger.

Reaction score
Welcome Roger

I am one of those members of the forum from outside the USA.

The DGX is probably the best keyboard of its type at its price point, great piano sounds and arranger functions so what is there not to like?

There have been quite a few posts on the DGX.

Reaction score
HI Biggles. I've seen some of your posts too.

Glad to hear the positive comments on the DGX.

I'm looking forward to it's arrival and getting started on learning.

I've been to the UK once, in my working days. Hill's Pet Nutrition has an office in London.

Reaction score
BTW

Yamaha keyboards come with three months free access to the Piano learning App Flowkey.

Its worth using for the trial period, not so much longer term as it is limited in learner content.

Also I click on New Posts when I access the forum hence I have no need to trawl each section.

Reaction score
Beginners Corner is well equipped for all ages. Most likely suited for "old timers"
A plethora of info is there.
Don't pre judge it!
Have a look Roger. . You will be impressed.
Ray
No pre-judging intended. Was fishing for recommendations.

That being said I've not gotten any replies to my thoughts on a thread I'm contemplating. Not sure if no response is a polite way to say likely no interest, or if no thoughts to share. It is an unusual thought for a thread on the forum here vs. the car forum I had done that on.

BTW... Thanks to everyone kind welcomes.

Reaction score
BTW

Yamaha keyboards come with three months free access to the Piano learning App Flowkey.

Its worth using for the trial period, not so much longer term as it is limited in learner content.

Also I click on New Posts when I access the forum hence I have no need to trawl each section.

Thanks for the tips, Boggles. I will take advantage of the free training.

I have been researching online training. I'll probably open a thread on the topic in the Beginners Corner.

Reaction score
BTW

I received the DGX today. I don't see any reference in the materials to Flowkey. I only see reference to their built in songs, and 2-3 different modes to try to learn to play those songs.

Ask a Question