New To Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi
I am Tim and live in Leeds, West Yorkshire. I have just got a keyboard and am looking at learning to play it. I play Guitar as well as learning Banjo, Violin and Harmonica. I can't go out because of a condition i have and thought that learning different instruments can fill my time stuck in the house. I am looking for a learning app so if someone can suggest which one is best i would greatly appreciate it. Probably going to be asking loads of questions so be prepared lol. Looking forwards to getting to know some of you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you want to get a feel for the keys then I recommend starting off with Synthesia. A keyboard game that works with MIDI files.

If you already read music or are learning to, then try Pianobooster. Also works with any MIDI file.

Finally if you are looking for free video instruction take a look at both the tutorials threads here on the forums as well as on Youtube.

There are literally thousands of resources freely available on the web and we have endeavored to provide many of them through links in the techniques and posture forum.

Btw, welcome to the forums.

I fully agree that it pays to keep the old noodle active during lockdowns.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Search the forum and you will find plenty of resources.

Additional to Gary’s suggestion check out Skoove, Flowkey and Simply Piano.

Do search for the manufacturer of your keyboard in the App Store, many have their own Apps and if your keyboard is new then it may come with a free trial period of an App. Yamaha digital pianos come with three months free use of Flowkey, Casio keyboards have Cordana

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, i think i got a week of Simply Piano for free or was supposed to. I have read about some software not being able to pick up chord sounds using just the Mic. The Keyboard i have does have Midi and also a usb connection. I want to use my Samsung Tablet for my Keyboard software and need to know if connecting it will help with the Mic issue, more of a direct link. What sort of lead would i need and where i might source one from. Thanks for all the advice so far, i appreciate it.

Reaction score
Cannot help with anything Android.

I bought a digital piano last year that had Flowkey free for three months so I gave it a go, there is a review I did of it on the forum.

I connected my iPad up to the P121 via USB and Flowkey worked well, I did all the learner exercises in a few weeks but there are also plenty of songs to learn its the beginner material that is light on content with this app.

As I play with headphone on the App picked up the keys being played via audio over usb.

Hence you may like to try connecting via USB

Reaction score
Thanks @Biggles , I won't be keeping this keyboard that long hopefully, i am wanting a 88 key one, this one i have is only 61, plus wanting one with weighted keys or at least semi-weighted. See a few that might be in my price range and plenty that aren't. I am getting right into Keyboard and might go with Flowkey, i really want to learn sheet music although i learnt Guitar without being able to read it, it's a nice skill to have under your belt though i imagine.

Reaction score
You are welcome.

You can always post what you are interested in and your desired budget and stand back for all the suggestions. Seriously there are a lot of very knowledgable and helpful members here with far more keyboard experience than I.

I too made the transition from guitar to keys.

Ask a Question