New to the forum, looking for some advise on a MUSE Receptor

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Great forum. Well, I have a bit of a head scratcher here.
Just joined a well established band, and its been a while since I have played the keys. I have been out of the game for 5 years pretty much. So needless to say that I have a lot of work cut out for me.

I used to play using an ESI sampler, and would upload presets via zip drive, using a midi controller keyboard. I understand the game has changed. Dramatically, at that.

So, I am rubbing my hands together getting ready to go on a National tour. Need a good, solid, professional set-up to accompany this tight rock n' roll band. I will most likely flank some juno synths on the side, and use other idiosyncratic keys as well. But primarily, what I am desiring most of all for patches, most importantly is some good horn sounds, really warm organ and strings sounds, and a decent piano sound. (Last I recall these were huge files, really expensive and it was still hard to find a moderately good piano patch, that didn't sound too cheesy or cheap.)

So I have heard about this muse receptor. As well as the Triton keyboard...which apparently can get the job done no probs.

But I think aesthetically I am leaning towards the Muse. It goes in theme with the last project I was in. I loved splitting my keys with different sets, and programming my own presets in, etc.
And as long as I can get all techie on the manual and learn my instrument, I will be fine and eventually get comfortable with it as my primary instrument. But i dont know much about the muse, (i.e. do you need a computer to accompany it? Why is it not like a computer, where you don't need to worry about it crashing live on stage? Does it work like a sampler, and you can just connect it to a controller, thereby accessing your presets?)

Is it worth it 2700 bucks later, 2 years later?

Nor am I very familiar with native instruments, or what they even are. Am pretty keen on getting something right away and the muse sounds great, what I heard of it anyways.

I'm not intimidated by it in any way, my sampler took me less than a week to master pretty much, and I loved learning about it and experimenting with it. Really looking forward to the learning phase, whatever the instrument may be that I undertake that venture with.

Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

-Shakelton

Ask a Question