New to this: Midi software direct to keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm 36 and enjoy rock music - especially Rush, Poison, Bon Jovi, Journey, etc. I played in a rock band in high school (years and years ago) and it looks like I have the opportunity to join a band that is just getting started. I saw them play last night and they were pretty amazing. My best friend is the drummer and they want a keyboardist. I've been playing keys since grade school, but mainly piano.

I have a Yamaha PSR-E313 that I bought from GuitarCenter.com last summer. It has some decent sounds, but I can't really even pull off Journey's "Separate Ways" or Rush's "Tom Sawyer" and I don't want to have to buy another keyboard.

I've seen some live shows where keyboardist have a laptop sitting next to them. Back in the high school days, I needed a piece of equipment to hook up to my keyboard to get midi sounds. I'm wondering if there is software I can use these days? Can I plug my MacBook directly into my keyboard and get midi sounds that way? If so, I'd be in good shape if I can figure it all out.

Help! Thanks! Also, what's the best site for sheet music, particularly rock music? - Jeff

Reaction score
I don't think the PSR E313 has midi on it. To use laptop, you need a midi keyboard controller, a midi interface for the computer, software instruments + a software host for those instruments.
I have a laptop set-up for VSTI's, but wouldn't use it as my only source for
instrument sounds.
A dedicated pro keyboard workstation is a better choice than a laptop in the long run. B3

Reaction score
Yes it's possible if you use and ASIO driver. Try ASIO4ALL it's free and it works nicely, but unfortunately you can't use also play a song in winmap to jam along. :(

Reaction score
Good to know.
Does this only apply to Winamp or to Windows media player, too?

BTW: do samplers have more delay than synths or are both delays insignificant?

Ask a Question