New update for Kross 2

Reaction score

"Support for the KROSS2 Option Sound (EXPCM001, EXPCM002,EXPCM004)"

These expansions happen to be the new sounds included with the Kross 2 88 MB and the SE versions of the Kross 2 61 (if I'm not mistaken).
Don't know whether the downloadable file contains the expansions, as well as the system update (I'd be surprised if it did, it's less than 3Mb in size...).
Can't try it out over the weekend, haven't got the time.

Care to take a look, @Biggles ? ;)

If this file doesn't contain the expansions, then I have no idea where to get them...

Edit : a quick question in the Kross 2 share group on Facebook and this is the result :)

Now all we have to do, is to try them out. I guess Korg came through after all !

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got a heads up direct from Korg Italy this morning and have just got my SD card ready with all the files.

Next to Backup and SaveAll before updating.

Hope the piano sounds are as good an improvement as Reuben’s patch was to the PA range.

I have posted details of the update on the Korg forum.

Reaction score
So it is a couple of hours later and my Kross 2 is updated and the three sound packs have been loaded.

Had an hour playing, using the new sounds or Programs, some of which are in fact layered instrument sounds presumably maxing out the oscillators.

Have to say I am impressed especially with what has been added by way of Pianos and EP's, there is a vast range of tones available with the 30 extra piano and piano based Programs alone.

All for free, so that cannot be a bad thing.

TIP
Extract the update to the root of your SD card and extract the three sound packs to the Data folder on your SD card. BTW the folder structure is critical and the SD card needs to be Formatted within the K2. Typical Korg, the documents are a bit vague in how to do things but Shift + Seq will put you in Media access mode.

I will be interested to hear your take on the piano sounds since your are far more critical as to the sounds than I.

Reaction score
Thanks !
Won’t have time this week but will definitely install the files as soon as I can.
I’m especially interested in the pianos and EPs, will keep you posted ;)

Reaction score
Installed the update and the new sounds, everything went without a hitch.
I'm happy overall with the new sounds. Especially the new Kross SE Grand and Concert SE Grand pianos are a step above the other sounds in the Kross 2, I find ; new EP's sound good as well.

Still, I find them just a tad lacking in 'body', don't know how else to explain it. They sound very good on their own, but I find the AP en EP sounds in my Kawai a lot better and realistic (the ones in the Kross 2 sound a bit too artificial).
But they're free, so one can't complain, really. And I'm really splitting hairs here because you can't expect Kronos quality from a Kross.

Think I've been listening too much to stage pianos lately, so I shouldn't be comparing the Kross 2 with boards like the RD2000, Grandstage, CP88, the Kronos 2, and of course my Kawai.
But I'm not a professional and the Kross 2 88 will do nicely for the very small and intimate gigs I'm planning on doing.

Ask a Question