New - with question about CSR file

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm new! I have been trying to save a music piano file to a SD card on a Casio Keyboard. The only file available is the CSR file. What in the world can I do with that? Is there any way to convert a CSR file to a WAV file? Thanks so much!
Sharon

Reaction score
Different concept

Hi Sharon,

The CSR files don't actually contain audio. They're actually jsut a set of instructions for the keyboard that tells it:
1. What instrument to use
2. What notes to play (and when, how long, how loud, etc.)
3. Misc other setup (chorus, reverb, etc.)

The only way to turn this into audio is to have a synth (like the one in your keyboard) play it. Think of it like the electronic equivilent of those old paper scrolls that went into an antique player piano (and please don't tell me if you're not old enough to remember these!).

Most manufacturers standardized on the MIDI format for this stuff years ago. Why Casio has to put it in their own proprietary file format I don't know. I have a question open in the Casio forum to see if there's a way to convert these things to a standard MIDI file...

Ask a Question