New workstation/have read guide btw!

Reaction score
Hi, Im new on here, and about to (long overdue) upgrade my current humble set-up. I've got a Korg 01FD and a Roland JP-8000.

Here are some facts about me and what I want to achieve.

1 I want to create ambient/trancy/soundscape/chilled dancey/electro stuff (if that makes sense). I'm a huge fan of Richard Barbieri's knob twiddling but his set-up is well scary and I wouldn't even ATTEMPT to understand it.

2 I'm a technophobe (as my name implies) but willing to learn and have a techy husband (thank GOD!) which may help in 'what to plug in which hole' type situations.

3 Im thinking either Yamaha Motif XS or Korg M3. Which do you believe is better/more user-friendly?

My questions would be along the lines of (and please don't laugh);

-Can I hook up my JP-8000 to either of the above workstations and if so what can I achieve doing this?

-Can I load new sounds onto either of the above and how easy is that?

-Is there a piece of music editing software on the market which doesn't require a degree in rocket science to understand it (I have cubase but it scares me)?

-I don't get MIDI AT ALL!! Is this going to be a problem?

I hope all that makes sense - I'm serious about doing this and would really appreciate any advice you may be able to offer. Please talk to me like I am three years old though or I won't understand you!
Thanks a lot in advance!

Reaction score
Ah- Japan, haven't thought of them in years. Is he still touring and is it some recent stuff you're into or are we talking "Ghosts" and then Rain Tree Crow?

I'll post later but I think I can help give you a few pointers.

Where are you based - is there a healthy live music scene?

Reaction score
is this you on your own doing everything or ...

Are you playing with a drummer or percussionist - what will be providing the ryhthmic pulse?

Is there going to be a bass player?

If it's a solo venture - you might need to get to grips with a bit of software based stuff.

If there are others involved in the sonic landscape - you can create some interesting audio stuff without going near a laptop or a MIDI cable.

Instead of a new keyboard maybe think about some realtime toys to manipulate sounds - a hardware audio looper or a fun processor like the kaoss pad. Just use the keyboards you have already.

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the reply - Im a big Japan fan but have listened to more recent stuff Richards done which is beautiful. ( http://www.richardbarbieri.net/ )

Im based in Preston, there's a music scene but I'm not involved in it and am a solo tinkerer in the spare bedroom! LOL...

I'm afraid I've not heard of a hardware audio looper or a kaoss pad and will look further into those. Im assuming that is what you mean when you say creating interesting stuff without going near a midi cable or a laptop.

I like the idea of having a full 88 key keyboard as I am also a pianist of sorts and would like the option to play the conventional keyboard as well.

Ask a Question