New Years Resolutions?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
What keyboard related New Year's Resolutions are you making for 2017?

I'll start off with a couple. I'm going to work up one song on Billboard's Greatest of All Time: Hot 100 Singles (http://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-hot-100-singles) each month. I'll video it and post it to YouTube.

I'm going to work on the grade six piano proficiency exam and the next theory exam for the Music Development Program (http://www.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/). I just discovered that they've updated the theory syllabus, so this might be an interesting year to take the exams. Here's the updated syllabus (http://www.musicdevelopmentprogram....es/files/S44_TheorySyl_2016_ONLINE_MDP_V3.pdf), and here's the crossover plan (http://www.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/theory-syllabus-2016). One thing I noticed is that the Associate level theory certification has become much simpler to achieve. It used to be about twelve examinations and some major projects, the number of exams has dropped precipitously.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Let it be hereby known to all that I fully resolve not to make any disappointing resolutions which I know I won't be able to keep in the forthcoming new year.

Let it further be known that I resolve to cut loose and enjoy life for a change after a very long and trying period of my life over the past few years.

And finally let it be known to all that if I should happen to stumble upon the burning body of President Elect Trump in a dark alley I promise not to waste my precious bodily supply of urine to put out the flames :p

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
precipitously
Big word Fred:eek: need to look that one up! :p

Anyway, you have a busy list.

I will just make a short resolution that I will just add a few new songs to my personal set lists.

I can see santana's smooth on the billboard list. I rather like that one. I think i will add that to my plans to learn it and play it.

Thanks Fred for inspiring me.:)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't really do "resolutions", but I have a couple of musical "projects" for next year:

1. Completely redoing my on-stage set up to include a rack-mount system for my mixers and electrical connections. This will allow me to add rack-based sound modules and effects at some point, which up until now I haven't bothered with, but have been intrigued by.
2. Structure my practice time better - it's going in the diary from now on!
3. Like Fred, learn one new song per month (and try not to forget too many old ones). They won't be going on YouTube but I'll bring them into my bands.

Have a great Christmas and New Year, everyone.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
I wrote the RCM about the new theory requirements. It appears that they forgot to put the Associate level theory requirements in the new syllabus, so the old requirements are still in place. Pity. It looked a bit less time consuming.

They did combine some of the earlier stuff, and have a new book series (http://www.celebratetheory.com) to support the new requirements. Unfortunately for me, they've only published the first eight levels so far. My next test should be at level nine, and those books aren't being published until sometime later this year. So I guess I'll be holding off on addressing the theory requirements for a couple of months.

This doesn't mean I don't have to practice, just that I don't have to study.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Reaction score
I want to get an interface that allows both my guitar pedal and keyboard to be recorded at the same time. Behringer will probably be the one.

Making a resolution does not make sense to me. If i am going to do something i do it all year around. :D

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Making a resolution does not make sense to me. If i am going to do something i do it all year around.

For me, a resolution provides a goal, a target, a way of forcing growth. And for a resolution to be workable as such, it needs to be in the SMART format.
  • S = specific
  • M = measurable
  • A = attainable
  • R = relevant
  • T = timely
I'll practice an hour a day for the year is a good resolution. I'll get better at playing isn't, because you can't tell if it's achievable.

My first goal, to record one song a month from that list, fits the SMART criteria. The second goal really should be to pass the level six piano proficiency and the level nine theory examinations this year. We'll see what actually happens. But at least I'll know if I failed or succeed.

Reaction score
It's more that by making the Resolution public, it's harder for me to skip it in February.
I
I resolve to show my keyboarding skills or non skills to this forum soonish. But what type of video i am not so sure people might want to see. Just my hands seems boring. I could overlay myself and a fractal video. Or stills of my digital art might be a way to go.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
I
I resolve to show my keyboarding skills or non skills to this forum soonish. But what type of video i am not so sure people might want to see. Just my hands seems boring. I could overlay myself and a fractal video. Or stills of my digital art might be a way to go.

I've got some eBay bucks due to me in January. I'm planning on getting an inexpensive HD camera or two. I'll hang one over the keyboards, and the other one might be aimed at me. Then I'll have multiple camera angles to use when I play. (I'm not convinced that people want to see my face. If I get many disparaging comments, I'll find a different angle to use.)

The reason I use my hands at all is that it's so easy to do everything via a sequencer that I'd like some evidence I actually played.

While typing this, I had a thought. You could start off with the "hands on keyboard shot", but then move the overlays, the fractal videos, etc., into the video. Might keep it from being as boring as mine. (Although mine have been pretty short, so very few people have fallen asleep.) Just get software that supports multiple video feeds. (But only one audio feed. And either go for a direct feed on the audio or invest in decent microphones.)

Reaction score
I've got some eBay bucks due to me in January. I'm planning on getting an inexpensive HD camera or two. I'll hang one over the keyboards, and the other one might be aimed at me. Then I'll have multiple camera angles to use when I play. (I'm not convinced that people want to see my face. If I get many disparaging comments, I'll find a different angle to use.)

The reason I use my hands at all is that it's so easy to do everything via a sequencer that I'd like some evidence I actually played.

While typing this, I had a thought. You could start off with the "hands on keyboard shot", but then move the overlays, the fractal videos, etc., into the video. Might keep it from being as boring as mine. (Although mine have been pretty short, so very few people have fallen asleep.) Just get software that supports multiple video feeds. (But only one audio feed. And either go for a direct feed on the audio or invest in decent microphones.)
I could do picture in picture also. Options are many. Soundcloud or soundclick links seem just too boring. :) More than likely leave myself out of it. And hello Fred. :) By the way. My korg x3 has no accordion patches. Are accordion patches too difficult to simulate in a synthesizer and that is why there are none?

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
My korg x3 has no accordion patches. Are accordion patches too difficult to simulate in a synthesizer and that is why there are none?

I haven't had much desire for an accordion patch, but I seem to recall that my old DX7 had one. So I googled accordion korg X3, and a commentator on http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/x3.php claimed that his had the best accordion sound he ever found. I have no idea where he got the sound. Perhaps you could ask the nice people at korgforums.com?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Oddly enough, Kurzweil is famous for not having any harmonica patches in their flagship PC3 line.

It's sort of a running joke on the Kurzweil forums. :D

THIS looks like a job of a letter to Santa Claus :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question