Newb Buying a Piano

Reaction score
Hello there,
I just started playing although I've played guitar for ahem, 30 years.

I'm thinking of buying a weighted piano rather than using the MIDI controller I have now.
Would something like a Yamaha P115 be a good choice?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
It looks reasonable to me, as a low end electric piano. Good polyphony, etc.

My caveats. First, I haven't played one, so I can't comment about the sound. Second, I'm biased against pianos with only one pedal. I'd be looking for a piano that supported all three pedals. But that's just me.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd suggest if you're starting out take a look around for a used Yamaha DGX-640 or DGX-650.

They have a lot more bells and whistles and you're less likely to get bored with the voices too quickly.

Also the advantage of buying used is you can often find a keyboard on craigslist that daddy's pride and joy bailed on the lessons for so you can save about half of the original purchase price.

As for your other thread on learning piano skills?

Take a look at the tutorial links page here on the forums.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/good-tutorial-links.24556/

Some of the best instructors in the world are available free of charge on Youtube.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
As well as craigslist, also try the retailers for second hand trade in. Mine, albiet a workstation, was 2nd hand 2 yrs old traded in. I was able to haggle a good price since it was taking up floor space meant for new models. I also got a 12 month warranty thown in.
So when you choose which model you want, shop around and haggle for a good deal.;) Mine cost me $600. New ones are around $1000.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The 640 was discontinued two or three years ago. The 650 is being discontinued this year for the 660.

If you're lucky you can sometimes find old stock floor demonstrators or open box returns selling for as much as 33% to 50% off retail with full manufacturer's warranty.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'd suggest if you're starting out take a look around for a used Yamaha DGX-640 or DGX-650.

I'm a happy owner of a DGX-650. I like the sound, and it has all three pedals available as an option. On the down side, the new cost is a lot more than the one you mentioned and it's very heavy. But used ones may be much cheaper, possibly down to the price range you're looking for.

Ask a Question