Newb Question Re. Yamaha Keyboard Stands

Reaction score
Sorry to ask such a newbie question, but for those of you who have Yamaha keyboard stands, did your stand come with a California Proposition 65 warning that it contains possible carcinogens?

I currently have a stand from another manufacturer that came bundled with a new PSR-E433, and it has the Prop 65 warning. I'd like to replace this stand with one that isn't potentially going to send me to an early grave, but even after searching the Yamaha web site, I can't tell if their stands are any safer. Yamaha customer service is closed for the weekend, and I have an opportunity to sell the "toxic" stand tomorrow, but it would be silly to get rid of it if I can't replace it with anything safer. So does anyone happen to know if Yamaha keyboard stands are also potentially "carcinogenic"?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's a freaking keyboard stand. Unless you plan to lick it I really can't see how it's going to give you cancer.

If it's made of particle board and emits formaldehyde just leave it standing in the garage for a week or two until the volatile chemicals dissipate.

Life's dangerous. Wear a helmet. Unless it gives you cancer :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Otherwise if you still insist on getting rid of the stand take a look at the metal stands from Onstage and Quicklok. They may cause the magnetic chip in your brain to explode but I really can't see how they'd give you cancer. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
How would it give me cancer? Same way anything with carcinogenic materials can give someone cancer. Inhalation of small particles that slough off over time. Ingestion after touching it if the toxins are in the coating (I really don't feel like religiously washing my hands every time I touch the thing).

I'll check into the companies you mentioned, but I'd still really appreciate an answer to the original question from someone who knows.

Thanks to anyone who can give me a serious answer here.

Reaction score
The post of 2014!!! Really dude? If you're that concerned put your keyboard on your non-proposition 65 ironing board and sell your proposition 65 keyboard stand. This is easily the silliest post that I have ever read. Please continue to breathe the non-proposition 65 smog in the air as I'm sure that won't kill you first. And if anyone actually does give you a serious answer then that would the 2nd silliest post of the year.

Reaction score
I'm not a dude. And a simple Google search would show you that this is not a unique or unwarranted concern among people who buy products that merit this warning. Ever heard of lead poisoning? Or is that too much to expect of someone who can't find anything better to do than make rude, snarky comments to a mom who's trying to protect herself and her young kids?

Thanks very much, guys, for taking the time to be so thoroughly unhelpful and for making sure a newbie would feel unwelcome here. Don't worry. I'll take my silly questions somewhere else where they don't trigger outbursts of nastiness to a complete stranger.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering anyone who's over 50 years old grew up in a house with lead painted walls breathing our parents' second hand smoke in the back seats of old Chevys without any airbags or seatbelts then it must be a Freaking MIRACLE that any of us survived :p

Then again, this nerf padded, ritalin swilling, bike helmeted generation must have some sort of redeeming value, though for the life of me I honestly can't tell what it is. :D

Seriously though, 99% of the planet has never heard of prop 65 and it sounds like a ridiculous nanny state bylaw to me. And this is no mean feat coming from someone who dwells in the King of all nanny states, Canada!

Do you honestly think every single item in your home is non carcinogenic or even could be if you wished it to?

Even your plastic keyboard had that "new electronics smell" the first time you plugged it in and I can guarantee you that nowhere in your manual is it recommended that you lick your fingers after using it,

Seriously, some first time moms need to get a grip on how much child proofing is desirable or even possible in a normal home.

A lot of today's immunologists categorically state that the incredible increase in childhood allergies today are the direct result of children being born and raised into too sterile an environment.

Lighten up kiddo. The bus exhaust will kill you and your kids a long time before the keyboard stand does :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question