Newbie Alert

Reaction score
Hi folks

I come here with the faint hope that someone might shed some light on my 10-month old problem. Everytime I play my Alesis Q49 midi controller in Studio one, Reaper or Pro Tools, it causes a short circuit. The computer goes off along with every socket upstairs where I record. I've had many electricians in who did a whole house check and found nothing wrong with the power coming into the house. The computer has been upgraded with an 850 W PSU and 8 Gb ram.

I use Native instruments and East West composer cloud. I've tried running those huge libraries off external hard drives and still, the power cuts. Filled up my 1 TB hard drive with them and power cuts again. I've changed USB cables, tried my Korg Krome workstation keyboard and...power cuts. having scowered the forums I saw one where a guy was saying he had terrible troubles with his Alesis Q49. He reset it which worked but I've done that and still, you guess it, power cuts.

I can run the latest game on this Dell Inspron 5680 gaming computer while playing music and having other applications open. Never a problem. I have 6 USB 3.0 ports and another 4 USB 2.0 ones. 24GB RAM. Intel I7 processor. I can run my DAW and mix and master all day and night with no issues, but a few stabs on the keyboard and I'm sitting in the dark again.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue?

Reaction score
Ok maybe a short circuit in the keyboard but would that allow the keyboard to function for a while before the power cuts? I Don't have a mains supply for this Alesis Q49 and someone said it might be asking for too much power. I've also just spent the last two hours recording native instruments in Studio One trouble free. I used the computer keyboard to punch in some notes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it has an option to add an external supply it very easily could be sucking too much juice and overloading the computer PS.

Some USB implementations are very dodgy to begin with.

Adding an external supply might be a good idea. or run it thru a powered hub.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If it has an option to add an external supply it very easily could be sucking too much juice and overloading the computer PS.

Some USB implementations are very dodgy to begin with.

Adding an external supply might be a good idea. or run it thru a powered hub.

Gary ;)
It just tripped the breaker again. This time no midi keyboard used. This only happens when I use the DAW. Weird thing is, it tripped after I saved my work send closed the program. Baffled! Thanks for the responses Gary.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like your computer has a flaky power supply or an internal intermittent short.

Either way, it's no longer a keyboard question.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Sounds like your computer has a flaky power supply or an internal intermittent short.

Either way, it's no longer a keyboard question.

Gary ;)
Just got a brand new cosair 850 watt psu installed. I can tell you that this tripping happened with a new laptop and another computer and in another place in the house. That's why I was hoping it's a faulty keyboard.

Oh well. There's always gardening I suppose! Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
Have you tried different circuits?
I set up the computer and keyboard in the kitchen once. It tripped that circuit. I just wiped the computer and installed things fresh. Got 2 days trouble free out of it before it went again. I was hitting rapid eighth notes on the keys when it went.

Waiting on a power adapter for the controller. I have a 5 pin midi cable to USB ready to try.

Ask a Question