Newbie with no musical talent,and lots of questions

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First off let me say Happy Holidays to everyone.

I am new here,and I have never played an instrument,and maybe never will,but I have a few questions. My five year old son has showed some interest in music over the last year or so,and I thought that maybe it would be a good time to get him involved in music. I was wondering if his age is too young to get started in learning an insrument like the keyboard/piano? If you feel he is age appropriate for this can you reccomend a good starting keyboard? I found what looks like a nice Casio LK-100 model for $160 with a stand,ac adapter,and headphones online,but I am concerned he may not like it,and it may be too advanced for a youngster. Also at that price if he doesn't like it,I have now spent some serious money (for us) for something he doesn't like. Conversly I thought that if he didn't like it maybe I could mess with it. I am 33,and may not be capable to learn new things at this point,but I would give it a go.

I just wish I had taken up an insrument when I was young as I love music. I was thinking maybe I would give my son the opportunity I never had. I also would like to get him away from the video games. He is limited to how long he plays,but still I would rather he did something like music with his time away from school and such. Thanks in advance,and I am sorry if these are stupid questions.

Chris

Reaction score
I'm new here also, understanding that, I offer the following.

Is 5 too young? Has more to do with his degree of interest and the length of his attention span. Don't expect him to teach himself. Spring for a teacher.

Sounds like you may be a good candidate. It's true, you will learn a little slower than the kids - kids learn music and language quicker than adults, but, that can be overcome. Your big disadvantage will be in carving out the necessary practice time.

I took up the guitar at 65 and now taking up keyboard at 72 -- we are never too old to learn, It just takes us longer and we have to try harder. As I'm retired time is not a problem.

Reaction score
I took up the guitar at 65 and now taking up keyboard at 72 -- we are never too old to learn, It just takes us longer and we have to try harder. As I'm retired time is not a problem.

HHeyy1!! Another "oldie" learning music. That's encouraging. Well I have played guitar and a few other string instruments most of my life, just average skill level, but now I'm taking up keyboard at age 57. I don't know if it's an unrealistic goal... I guess most keyboard players have been piano players all their lives. I had the usual obligatory piano lessons when I was young so I know the basics like "treble and bass clef". But that was it.

I believe I can do it as long as I remain motivated. But that's the big problem as I have a short attention span. Uh...what was I talking about?:eek:

Good luck learning!

Reaction score
Is 5 too young?

I think it is, unless your child gravitates toward pianos & keyboards on his own. It's not always realistic for parents to try to 'get their kids interested" in something.

I'd wander into a music store with your child, see if any of it sparks his/her interest. Certainly if you have any instruments in the house, or in a relative's house, you can expose the child to them. You can go to performances, especially children's performances and small places where your child can get up close.

I never tried to get my kids into music, but they saw me playing, and most of all they saw Grandpa playing (he plays classical piano.) After awhile they begged me for piano lessons. This was at age 10-12 though.

I personally think things like harmonicas & pennywhistles are better for 5 year olds. Or else buy the cheapest keyboard, and enjoy it yourself!

Reaction score
For Christmas we are at our Daughter home. Our Daughter is a 5th grade teacher and also teaches beginning piano lessons so..... She sat me down and said; "Remember the Sound of Music?" In The Sound of Music we were told that we learn to read with A, B, C and we learn to sing with Do, Ra, Me. Go learn Do, Ra, Me first and then we'll get to some music.

She has me using the correct fingers in runs and I am to do nothing beyond scale runs until I have learned my notes --- flash chord - answer to come in the same amount of time it takes me to say my name. Told you she was a 5th grade teacher didn’t I? Love it when she talks to me in her teacher voice.

Building the foundation, and looking forward to making music.
personally think things like harmonicas & pennywhistles are better for 5 year olds. Or else buy the cheapest keyboard, and enjoy it yourself!
P.S. I agree with the post about exposing your child to music and see if there is an interest. Also jump in yourself.

Good luck and happy New Year.

Reaction score
It's kind of a mixed bag....for instance, my parents had me learning piano when I was pretty young (not 5, but maybe 2 years later...), and while it was a big help in terms of learning theory, I *hated* practicing, and it felt like it was being pushed on me, so I gave up on it until I found a renewed interest in high school ('90 or so.)

Even now I just dabble in it, as my main interests are playing rhythm guitar and bass guitar.

On the other hand, my girlfriend *did* pretty much start on piano when she was about 5, and she (unlike me) stuck with it, and now she can play just about anything you put in front of her.

So it really depends upon interest and how good of a teacher you get.

-Bryan

Reaction score
To Old!! Never!

Hey Malcom I was really glad to see your post! I am 62 thought I was to old for awhile also! But read my post at the Casio site. I am asking for some help with trying to figure out my midi and how to use it. Merry Christmas to All!:):):):)

Reaction score
Hey Malcom I was really glad to see your post! I am 62 thought I was to old for awhile also! But read my post at the Casio site. I am asking for some help with trying to figure out my midi and how to use it. Merry Christmas to All!:):):):)

Just wanted to warn you that you've posted on quite an old thread - don't know how active the users still are. If you need midi help you could always start your own thread.

Ask a Question