Newby live keys rig question

Reaction score
Hi,

In my band we have a really great keyboard play but he's not got much live experience and we're having some trouble getting his patch levels set consistently.

He uses a Korg Kronos and a Behringer Deepmind, both stereo out into a Roland amp and we take the stereo out of the amp to the PA.

I play keys a little but mainly in the studio for writing purposes - i'm an experienced producer so I'm trying to help hm out.

My thinking is that he needs to set the master volumes of both boards to around 75% and run each board into a mixer with a VU meter (I have a small A&H he can use) - I would then suggest setting the patch levels (not the master) to hit around -6dB on the VU ensuring they don't go above 0dB when payed together - from that point I would adjust each patch for the desired balance and save the patches.

Does that sound like a good approach? ...like I said, I'm not a live keyboard player - any advice would be great!

Reaction score
Yes.

I've spent many hours getting the patches 'leveled' on each keyboard I use so that when I switch from patch to patch the volumes are consistent. Then I ensure that the each keyboard's overall levels are the same using the VU on my mixer that feeds my powered monitor. This way no matter which patch I use on any keyboard the volume levels when switching to them are consistent. -6dB is a good level.

Reaction score
Ultimately there's several ways you can manage this situation but your general approach seems fine to me.

What's important in the first instance is that your keys player makes some effort to ensure there's consistency of level leaving the keyboards. As Dave has said above, part of our job as keys players is to balance our patches so we're not giving the sound engineer too much to do, which in turn will help him/her ensure we're heard by the audience. Part of the art here is also understanding you will want some keys parts to be more prominent than others too, depending on their function in the song.

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
Kinda late, but . . . Someone may wander in here looking for info.

How did it turn out?

I'd like to add that from my limited experience, do exactly what you talked about. It's a good place to start. But then do a test run under a full rehearsal situation with someone listening to the "stage" and PA sound "out front" to see if those values need any adjustment. See how it sits in the mix. Some patches will stand out, and some may get lost.

If someone with a good ear or if someone in the band is wireless, they can do the observation. Another way would be to use an audio recorder.

In addition, try to do the same at the first venue to make any final tweaks. Take notes about each patch, you may want to make additional tonal, effects and dynamics changes as well as volume.

Ask a Question