Newby needing new keys!

Reaction score
Hi all, help neede please! I play in a covers band in Cornwall, currently using an old, cheap, but versatile Yamahs PSr-630, but I desperately need an upgrade. Finally lost it, when my voice memory was wiped 25 minutes before going on stage. Can't do that anymore! No more battery back up floppy disc outdated thing!
Please can I have advice on what to get now?
Budget around £500, happy with second hand. Looked at PSR s750. Need loads of voices, but not loads of mixing abilities, need split voice, dual voices, bend, good storage of set-ups and preferably better electrical connections, jack or mic lead (can't remember what they're called!)
I do prefer Yamaha, because, in my opinion, all the string and brass sounds are better than others, but I'm open to suggestions....
Thanks in advance.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Sally
The PSR-S670 would do all that you are asking. It is the current model which has superceeded your PSR-630 by many years. They retail new for just under $1000.00 This is pretty close to your budget. These would be rare as second hand since they are new generation models. But if you can find one second hand and save a few hundred bucks I would certainly consider it.
Other than that if you want to stick with Yamaha and spend less . . Consider the E 400 series. These also have many modern features overpowering the outdated S630. I'm sure.
You mentioned the S770 but these are well above your budget.
Happy shopping:) cheers ray.

Reaction score
Hi Sally
The PSR-S670 would do all that you are asking. It is the current model which has superceeded your PSR-630 by many years. They retail new for just under $1000.00 This is pretty close to your budget. These would be rare as second hand since they are new generation models. But if you can find one second hand and save a few hundred bucks I would certainly consider it.
Other than that if you want to stick with Yamaha and spend less . . Consider the E 400 series. These also have many modern features overpowering the outdated S630. I'm sure.
You mentioned the S770 but these are well above your budget.
Happy shopping:) cheers ray.
I just wanted to say welcome to the forum :)
Thanks!

Thanks so much I'll look these up. I think the E series don't seem to hold as many sounds and I am not really a pianist, more of a 'multi-instrumentalist one finger player' so need the sounds more than the keys. Thanks again.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
One advantage of going with an upgraded keyboard from your current keyboard is that (generally) it will work the same way that you're used to. You may want to go to the Yamaha web site and compare all their arranger keyboards to see which one you like.

The site in the United States is http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/, but I'm not sure if it works in the UK. I'd be looking at the S series keyboards. Also, buying new gets you a warrantee.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. So I am now down to choosing between PSR S670 and PSR EW400/453. I like the idea of extra keys, but the Reg bank memory seems small (32) on the 400 and 453 when I'd like more. Does anyone know if you can save voice/split/dual settings onto a USB with latest models? That would obviously make life loads easier!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I almost bought a 670 abt. 14 months ago. At the time a used 650 was avail for $400 less. I could not resist the saving. Awesome machine! The 670 would have been more awesome:rolleyes: had I bought it.

Sally, I don't recall anyone on this forum owning a 670. I would suggest to go to youtube and type in PSR S670. There you will see dozens of video clips, reviews and demos and such. Too many to list here but scroll through them and you will most likely get all the answers you need.
Here is one short example.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
First, a good site to ask about the Yamaha arrangers is psrtutorial.com.

My biggest concern with the 450/453 is the limited polyphony. If you're using the arranger features (auto accompaniment, etc.) or if you like layering voices and using the sustain pedal, you'll eat up the 48 note polyphony quickly. The 670's 128 note polyphony will have a harder time running out of notes.

For most music, five octaves should be adequate. (Although I'm one to talk, given the extended number of keys I insist on using.)

On the other hand, the 450/453 is cheaper.

Ask a Question