Noob questions about midi

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a total beginner in midi...

I have a Yamaha CP33 digital piano, than can be used as a midi controller, but I never used it in that way, now I want to do it.

I also have a usb-midi in/midi out cable.

What I need is to record in Cubase with that controller.

First of all, the right connection is usb-Midi out, right? Do I need to plug also midi in ?

Now, I don't know what to do to change my controller's sound, how do I select the midi preset in cubase?

I'm sorry, I'm a noob =/

I use Windows XP and also Ubuntu, so my main need is to understand which midi software I need.

Greetings.

Reaction score
MIDI is very easy to setup.

Midi OUT sends signals from the keyboard/controller, and midi IN recieves signals from some source (also keyboard/controller/PC/whatever)

So if you're gonna use the CP33 as a controller, the only place you need to plug the cable in is midi OUT - Because you're sending midi signals from the CP33 to your PC (or any other device you wish to control).

Since it's the CP33 we're talking about, i strongly recommend you use the regular USB cable to connect your PC with the CP33. Get the drivers from yamaha's website - it works perfect and you don't need to worry about plugging it in the wrong port :)

Now... the next part is deciding what do you want to control... Is it just the information input (as in which notes which tracks play), or is it actual sounds on your PC... If it's the other one - you will need some extra programs or VSTs.

AFAIK - Cubase doesn't come with any VSTs so basically you can't play sounds from your PC since there aren't any - But there are a bunch of free VSTs of various instruments, and tons of commercial plugins.

Reaction score
I see, I should have imagined that it could work better just with a usb connection.

Ok, then what I need is to find some VSTs.

Thank you for your help =) I have so much to learn...

Ask a Question