Nord electro 4 sw73 split?????

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought this Nord 4 keyboard and have been searching the internet and manual for 3 days now on how to create a split keyboard with a hammond on the left and brass on the right side.
Seems impossible.

Anyone know how to do that?

thnks

Reaction score
I might be mistaken but the E4 is a mono timbral instrument meaning it only plays one sound at a time. Based on this split functionality requirement that you have it is not possible, because under split functionality you would be asking the keyboard to play two sounds at one time, i.e. organ on the left and brass on the right. this would require bi-timbral functionality. the only exception to this on the E4 is organ which you can split upper organ above the split point and lower organ below the split point. For the functionality that you are asking for you need an E5 or E6 model, which introduced bi-timbral and multi-timbral functionality respectively. You bought the wrong model keyboard for the functionality you are asking about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thank you Dave, when I got it (used) it had one programm that was split into brass and piano, so I figured it should be possible, I just don't see how....

Reaction score
Have a look at Page 9 of the Manual where it states: -

Press and hold Shift and the Drawbar/Split button .This activates the organ split mode . The keyboard will be split at C4 . The lower half will use the Lo setting; the upper half will use the Up setting .If you press and hold both the Shift and the Preset/Split buttons for a couple of seconds, the Split LED will begin to flash and you can press a key on the keyboard to set a new split point as long as these buttons are held down. The key you press will be the first upper manual key

It may not be what you want but furtherperusing of the manual may help you

Reaction score
The Electro 4 cannot split sounds, except it can do upper+lower manual organ, However, it loads custom samples. So you could create a sample that had Hammond on left and brass on right "baked into it." Note that this functionality is very limited... the Nord considers it all one sound even if your ears are telling you otherwise. Therefore you would not be able to, for example, put an effect or EQ on one sound without putting it on both. You also lose all the non-sample based features of the Nord organ, like drawbar adjustability, high trigger point, etc., because the Nord doesn't consider it to be an organ, it's just a sample you loaded that happens to sound like one. ;-)

You mentioned a brass and piano split, that would be done the same way, with the same kinds of limitations. You couldn't use a built-in Nord piano sound or anything with its piano-specific features (like string resonance or multiple velocity level samples), you wouldn't be able to have the sustain pedal work on the piano sound without also sustaining the brass.

So it's doable, but it's a kludge with a lot of limitations. If you can return the E4, maybe another board would be better suited for your needs, like the E5 or E6 or something in the Stage series (or something other than a Nord). Or the E4 can be a nice part of a 2-board rig, using each for its strengths.

Reaction score
Have a look at Page 9 of the Manual where it states: -

Press and hold Shift and the Drawbar/Split button .This activates the organ split mode . The keyboard will be split at C4 . The lower half will use the Lo setting; the upper half will use the Up setting .If you press and hold both the Shift and the Preset/Split buttons for a couple of seconds, the Split LED will begin to flash and you can press a key on the keyboard to set a new split point as long as these buttons are held down. The key you press will be the first upper manual key

It may not be what you want but furtherperusing of the manual may help you
thanks, yes I found that, but it is only organ....

Reaction score
The Electro 4 cannot split sounds, except it can do upper+lower manual organ, However, it loads custom samples. So you could create a sample that had Hammond on left and brass on right "baked into it." Note that this functionality is very limited... the Nord considers it all one sound even if your ears are telling you otherwise. Therefore you would not be able to, for example, put an effect or EQ on one sound without putting it on both. You also lose all the non-sample based features of the Nord organ, like drawbar adjustability, high trigger point, etc., because the Nord doesn't consider it to be an organ, it's just a sample you loaded that happens to sound like one. ;-)

You mentioned a brass and piano split, that would be done the same way, with the same kinds of limitations. You couldn't use a built-in Nord piano sound or anything with its piano-specific features (like string resonance or multiple velocity level samples), you wouldn't be able to have the sustain pedal work on the piano sound without also sustaining the brass.

So it's doable, but it's a kludge with a lot of limitations. If you can return the E4, maybe another board would be better suited for your needs, like the E5 or E6 or something in the Stage series (or something other than a Nord). Or the E4 can be a nice part of a 2-board rig, using each for its strengths.
Thanks, that's my conclusion too. I was hoping to get rid of having to use two keyboards. I have a stage piano (Casio) and a Korg X50 which I consider pretty cool (my bandleader doesn't), I think I'll stick to that and sell the Nord

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought this Nord 4 keyboard and have been searching the internet and manual for 3 days now on how to create a split keyboard with a hammond on the left and brass on the right side.
Seems impossible.

Anyone know how to do that?

thnks
Can’t be done on an Electro 4. I ‘upgraded’ to an Electro 6D....and compared to my Kurzweil Artis, there are some serious limitations with the splits and layering. There are three sound generation sections....organ, piano and synth. You can create several zones such as organ in lower keyboard, piano in the middle and let’s say brass at the top end. However if you want to create say strings in the middle and brass on top, you cannot do that because both the strings and brass section are in the synth sound engine. On any Kurzweil, Yamaha or Kory, this is a no brainer. I’m surprised about all the accolades the Nord gets with this limitation.

Reaction score
Can’t be done on an Electro 4. I ‘upgraded’ to an Electro 6D....and compared to my Kurzweil Artis, there are some serious limitations with the splits and layering. There are three sound generation sections....organ, piano and synth. You can create several zones such as organ in lower keyboard, piano in the middle and let’s say brass at the top end. However if you want to create say strings in the middle and brass on top, you cannot do that because both the strings and brass section are in the synth sound engine. On any Kurzweil, Yamaha or Kory, this is a no brainer. I’m surprised about all the accolades the Nord gets with this limitation.
I totally agree. This is realy a rediculous limitation on such an expensive instrument. I sold the 4 and bought a 5, haven't had time to dive info the possibilities of that one yet , but your story makes me worry.....

Ask a Question