Nord Keyboard Feel

Reaction score
I recently had a chance to play a NE6 76, non-HP, for a couple of days and really liked the keyboard. It felt very similar to an old upright piano I have. Does anyone know of other keyboard brands, under 88 keys, that may be similar? I really liked the Nord but that price!

Reaction score
I know what you mean.

I went into my local music store a couple of weeks ago and got accosted by the Sales guy.

Colin, come and see this, he took me to the Nord and started playing, ...... Its just come in and I absolutely love it, it has the best action of anything and it sounds superb.

I even got to play it myself and also another Nord, I really should resist playing these damn keyboards they feel and play great.

Despite the hard sell I resisted as I only went in for a set of guitar strings but he sold me my Korg Arranger and I am always calling in at the shop.

What I am saving is, go for it.

I did think Kursweil when I read your post but after checking the price discounted it, Nord rules.

Reaction score
Which Kurzweil(s)?

I know what you mean.

I went into my local music store a couple of weeks ago and got accosted by the Sales guy.

Colin, come and see this, he took me to the Nord and started playing, ...... Its just come in and I absolutely love it, it has the best action of anything and it sounds superb.

I even got to play it myself and also another Nord, I really should resist playing these damn keyboards they feel and play great.

Despite the hard sell I resisted as I only went in for a set of guitar strings but he sold me my Korg Arranger and I am always calling in at the shop.

What I am saving is, go for it.

I did think Kursweil when I read your post but after checking the price discounted it, Nord rules.

Reaction score
Kursweil Forte, the 76 key version has Italian Hammer Action but its quite expensive.

Do check out other Kursweil models but do read reviews as I understand some are problematic.

Its one make that I have not had hands on practice with, they are not as readily available where I live as other makes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It is my understanding that both Nord and Kurzweil use Fatar keybeds in their products.

While the Forte 7 may be out of your price league take a look at the Artis 7 for something a bit less costly.

Avoid the PC3LE line however. That model has been producing lemons since the day it was introduced.

Personally I'm very happy with my PC3K8.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I recently had a chance to play a NE6 76, non-HP, for a couple of days and really liked the keyboard. It felt very similar to an old upright piano I have. Does anyone know of other keyboard brands, under 88 keys, that may be similar? I really liked the Nord but that price!

If you are looking for the best piano "feel" Then the Kawai ES8 is about the best you will find. I have one and the feel is extraordinary as is the sound. If you want the crème de la crème then the Kawai MP11SE is the best money can buy in my view.... check them out!. The ES8 has built in speakers the MP11SE does not. If your looking for this quality in a keyboard with less than 88 keys then thats very hard as most manufactures save their best action boards for their 88 key versions

Reaction score
I recently had a chance to play a NE6 76, non-HP
Electro 6 is available with 73 keys (not 76). The HP has the more piano-like hammer action. The 6D (non-HP) model has a semi-weighted action, are you sure which you played? One obvious visual difference is that the 6D semi-weighted has drawbars for the organ control, the hammer action HP model has buttons and rows of lights instead,

Reaction score
For semi-weighted, I love the ICON iKeyboards, which are really inexpensive and come in 5 different sizes (2, 3, 4, 5, and 7.25 octaves...although notably not 6 octaves which is what the Nord is). They are just MIDI controllers, which is my preference since I don't want to pay for all the electronics and speakers when I already have them for my computer and I don't have a need to use it standalone. Note that they have piano keys rather than the waterfall keys that are on the Nord non-hammer-action.

Reaction score
Hi folks! I have a Studiologic numa Compact 2 and I wonder if it is possible to assign a footswitch to change Leslie effect between fast and slow on that keyboard
please help me if you can. Best Regards, Yngve Holmlund, Finland

Reaction score
If you like the Nord, get it! Wait a few months and buy one slightly used. Watch the used equipment at Keyboard Forum or Reverb.com.

Reaction score
.... I have the Electro 5D which has exactly the same Fatar keybed - the Electro 6 series was only a minor upgrade from this so maybe consider the 5 series as a cheaper option. I just love this board - it really is the swiss army knife of gigging keyboards, does pretty much everything 8-9 out of 10 !

Reaction score
Fairstar, I agree with your comment on the 5D. It would be significantly less expensive to get a used 5D than a 6D, and the 5D is still an awesome workhorse. But the one big improvement (my opinion) that the 6 has over the 5 is seamless transitions between sound changes. Nord addressed that weakness nicely with the E6 and S3 keyboards.

Reaction score
Fairstar, I agree with your comment on the 5D. It would be significantly less expensive to get a used 5D than a 6D, and the 5D is still an awesome workhorse. But the one big improvement (my opinion) that the 6 has over the 5 is seamless transitions between sound changes. Nord addressed that weakness nicely with the E6 and S3 keyboards.
....agreed 89keys, it's not huge but haha I covet this feature (and music stand capability) to the point where I'm considering trading up !

Ask a Question