Nord, Korg, Roland, or M-Audio?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a beginner and newbie here. This is my first post.

What can you suggest for a beginner like me?

Nord - what model?
Roland - SH-201
Korg Micro X
Korg Microkorg XL
M-Audio Axiom 25

I prefer i can use it in tandem with Garageband '09 and Logic Studio. The keyboard must be Mac-friendly and must be compatible with other Mac-based programs like Ableton Live, Reason, and Cubase.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Where is the local Hong Kong distributor / dealer for Nord? Tom Lee Music Hong Kong does not carry the Nord keyboard line. We don't have a local dealer for Nord here. Hong Kong is the nearest country where i live.

Reaction score
Ignore the previous post from 'the drug seller'

Can you say what you want out of this keyboard... other than the compatibility with a computer? - most keyboards, these days, are!

What sort of sounds / playability etc are you after, or is it just a MIDI controller you need?

Reaction score
Yeah, you run the spectrum from MIDI controllers to cheap workstation-like keyboards up to the specialized synths and keyboards that Nord puts out. Without narrowing down what you actually want, no one can give you any advice whatsoever.

Reaction score
Just bought M-Audio Axiom Pro 49. Since a lot of virtual synths and analog synths are available for a beginner like me, will explore the unlimited sound possibilities of this hyper-controlled (automap) beast.

Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
The Axiom's a nice controller; I used to have an Axiom 61. If you're looking for synths to play with, I highly recommend Synth1. As far as free analog synths go, it's generally regarded as the best. Only problem is that the documentation is all in Japanese, so if you don't know anything about subtractive synthesis, you'll have to read up on that first.

Good luck!

Reaction score
look at novation controllers they will work with the DAW (software) of your choice very easily. I didnt like the axiom when i tried it out in the store but its about personal feel and what each individual likes. the Akai mpk series is something you should look into although it will only work instantly with certain DAWs you may have to program it yourself, which is definitely possible. the micro korg is very good for instant setting up and playing. i would suggest that you go to your nearest music superstore and try them all out. (p.s. make sure they're in stock and its possible for you to try it before you buy it)

Ask a Question