NORD PIANO 5 - CLAV SOUNDS?

Reaction score
hi all, I got a nord piano 5 that I LOVE, but my band wants a lot of CLAV sounds.... I know it's got a CLAV But are there different menu's of Clavs with different tones? or do I need to build my own and save the presets?

I think they want dirty crunch Clavs and as far as I can see, I don't see a menu of 100 different kinds of clav tones.

thanks! really appreciate your help!

also is there a Nord forum? maybe I should just find one and ask there?

Reaction score
A real Clavinet has 4 basic sounds, plus some EQ options, a mute bar, and then whatever effects you choose to put it through.

Nords have the 4 basic sounds, most of the original's EQ options, no mute bar setting that I know of, but pretty much all the effects you could want (wah, phaser, amp sim/overdrive, etc.)... so basically, if it doesn't happen to have a preset for the sound you want, you can likely build it the same way it was built on the original. (Whether Nord's clav samples are the best available to begin with is a different conversation.)

From the Nord manual:

All original Clavinet D6 pick-up combinations are available on the Nord
Piano 5:
Clav Model A: Only the “neck” pick-up; a warmer, less bright sound.
Clav Model B: Only the “bridge” pick-up; a bright sound.
Clav Model C: Both pick-ups on and in phase; a very full sound.
Clav Model D: Both pick-ups on but 180 degrees out of phase. The
fundamental is almost cancelled out and the sound becomes thin.
An original Clavinet is equipped with 4 rocker switches which control the on-board EQ. Most of the combinations produced by these switches are available on the Nord Piano 5. Available settings are: Soft, Treble, Soft+Treble, Brilliant, Soft+Brilliant, Treble+Brilliant, Soft+Treble+Brilliant.

Essentially, there's no need for hundreds of clav sounds, when the original didn't have all that many to being with. ;-) Instead, you can choose the attributes you want, as you would on a real one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A real Clavinet has 4 basic sounds, plus some EQ options, a mute bar, and then whatever effects you choose to put it through.

Nords have the 4 basic sounds, most of the original's EQ options, no mute bar setting that I know of, but pretty much all the effects you could want (wah, phaser, amp sim/overdrive, etc.)... so basically, if it doesn't happen to have a preset for the sound you want, you can likely build it the same way it was built on the original. (Whether Nord's clav samples are the best available to begin with is a different conversation.)

From the Nord manual:

Essentially, there's no need for hundreds of clav sounds, when the original didn't have all that many to being with. ;-) Instead, you can choose the attributes you want, as you want on a real one.
thank you! ill research this, this weekend and see what I can find. thanks!

Reaction score

From the Nord manual:

Essentially, there's no need for hundreds of clav sounds, when the original didn't have all that many to being with. ;-) Instead, you can choose the attributes you want, as you would on a real one.
hey so I scrolled through my Piano 5 bank and I came up with different answers than you. please correct me if I'm wrong.

here's what I found that I liked.
D-32 Wah Clav +
G-12 Slap Clav+
J-33 Clav
I-12 Clav

here are some other sounds similar that I liked
I-53 Dirty layer
H-32 Wah layer
G-43 Wurly

**if I go to the amp/comp knob and boost up the drive, I can get a dirtier sounding clav.

I didn't quite understand your post and how to get to those sounds. I just scrolled through the program knob and found sounds similar. am I going about it wrong? thanks!

Reaction score
Those programs are essentially just a few examples of what you can do with the clav sounds that are in the Nord. The clav sounds themselves are located in the Piano section. That's where you will find all 4 of the clav's basic sounds (pickup positions), and the associated EQ options. Once you find a basic clav sound you like, with an EQ you like, with whatever effects you want it to have, you can save it as a Program for quick recall. That's what someone at Nord did to come up with the programs you listed, but those few sample programs don't begin to show the range of clav sounds available with the board.

Reaction score
ok. thank you. where is the piano section? how do I access those D selections you mentioned?

for example, I scrolled through the bank -- I didn't see Clav D6?
you clearly know more than me, so I appreciate you sharing how this works.
where/how do I access these Piano section clavs?

I find the knobs a bit confusing as to what scrolls to what?
so I may be in the clav bank, but I'm using the wrong knob to find the ones you mention?

also - say I like J-34 is there a quick way to access it? to punch to it? rather than scrolling through the general bank?

is there a YouTube on this somewhere?

thank you for your help!

Reaction score
ok. thank you. where is the piano section? how do I access those D selections you mentioned?

for example, I scrolled through the bank -- I didn't see Clav D
All the clav sounds in the Nord are D6.

where/how do I access these Piano section clavs?

I find the knobs a bit confusing as to what scrolls to what?
so I may be in the clav bank, but I'm using the wrong knob to find the ones you mention?
First, make sure you understand the basic structure of the keyboard. There is a piano section with sounds from their piano library (grand and upright pianos, clav, EPs, etc.). Then there is the sample/synth section with all the non-piano types of sounds (orchestral instruments, pads, etc.). And when you combine one or more of these sounds with their effects and other front panel settings, the result is saved as a Program. So far, it sounds like you're only scanning the programs, and not the libraries of all the basic sounds that are in the board.

I don't have the Nord Piano 5, but I think this will work: hit the "Layer Init" (shift+KB split) button in the Piano section. Confirm that the Synth Sample section is turned off, and that no effects are enabled (Mod 1, Mod 2, Amp/Comp, EQ, Delay, Reverb). This will give you a blank slate to work from for the clavs. In the piano section, under Piano Select, choose Clav, and use the nearby knob to choose from the four basic clav sounds (which correspond to the actual AC, AD, BC, and BD rocker settings on a D6, which are the only 4 fundamental sounds a clav has). Use the TIMBRE button in the same section to cycle through the 7 possible EQ/filter settings that emulate 7 of the 15 total EQ/filter combinations available on an actual D6 (I think those figures are right). When you settle on the one that has the basic tone that is closest to what you're looking for, you can add the effects to taste (again, Mod 1, Mod 2, Amp/Comp, EQ, Delay, Reverb), which correspond to an actual D6 owner putting his clav through particular pedals and amps of his choosing. When it sounds the way you want, save it as a Program. You can save as many clav programs as you'd like, as long as you've got Program locations available (either unused, or filled with a sound you'd never use anyway which can be replaced). Your program can also include combining that clav sound with one or more additional sounds (up to one additional sound from the piano section, and up to two sounds from the sample synth section).

Those clav sounds you found in programs D-32, G-12, J-33, I-12 are merely some sample clav programs someone at Nord created using the process above. More than almost any other board, the Nord is not primarily about playing factory preset programs, which are basically just examples of what the board can do. One of the biggest appeals of the Nord is all the hands-on controls, designed to make it easy for you to create the sounds you need. In this case, you can create the clav sound you want using the same basic process you'd use if you had an actual D6. Since the D6 itself has so few controls on it, it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to grasp what these controls do, and the Nord gives you (most of) the same controls.

also - say I like J-34 is there a quick way to access it? to punch to it? rather than scrolling through the general bank?
Check out the board's Numeric Pad mode. Once you're in a bank, you can get to any of that bank's 25 sounds by punching 2 buttons. You can then create banks that have the 25 sounds you use most often, 25 you need for a particular gig, etc., and then access those sounds with no scrolling.

Reaction score
All the clav sounds in the Nord are D6.

First, make sure you understand the basic structure of the keyboard. There is a piano section with sounds from their piano library (grand and upright pianos, clav, EPs, etc.). Then there is the sample/synth section with all the non-piano types of sounds (orchestral instruments, pads, etc.). And when you combine one or more of these sounds with their effects and other front panel settings, the result is saved as a Program. So far, it sounds like you're only scanning the programs, and not the libraries of all the basic sounds that are in the board.

I don't have the Nord Piano 5, but I think this will work: hit the "Layer Init" (shift+KB split) button in the Piano section. Confirm that the Synth Sample section is turned off, and that no effects are enabled (Mod 1, Mod 2, Amp/Comp, EQ, Delay, Reverb). This will give you a blank slate to work from for the clavs. In the piano section, under Piano Select, choose Clav, and use the nearby knob to choose from the four basic clav sounds (which correspond to the actual AC, AD, BC, and BD rocker settings on a D6, which are the only 4 fundamental sounds a clav has). Use the TIMBRE button in the same section to cycle through the 7 possible EQ/filter settings that emulate 7 of the 15 total EQ/filter combinations available on an actual D6 (I think those figures are right). When you settle on the one that has the basic tone that is closest to what you're looking for, you can add the effects to taste (again, Mod 1, Mod 2, Amp/Comp, EQ, Delay, Reverb), which correspond to an actual D6 owner putting his clav through particular pedals and amps of his choosing. When it sounds the way you want, save it as a Program. You can save as many clav programs as you'd like, as long as you've got Program locations available (either unused, or filled with a sound you'd never use anyway which can be replaced). Your program can also include combining that clav sound with one or more additional sounds (up to one additional sound from the piano section, and up to two sounds from the sample synth section).

Those clav sounds you found in programs D-32, G-12, J-33, I-12 are merely some sample clav programs someone at Nord created using the process above. More than almost any other board, the Nord is not primarily about playing factory preset programs, which are basically just examples of what the board can do. One of the biggest appeals of the Nord is all the hands-on controls, designed to make it easy for you to create the sounds you need. In this case, you can create the clav sound you want using the same basic process you'd use if you had an actual D6. Since the D6 itself has so few controls on it, it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to grasp what these controls do, and the Nord gives you (most of) the same controls.

Check out the board's Numeric Pad mode. Once you're in a bank, you can get to any of that bank's 25 sounds by punching 2 buttons. You can then create banks that have the 25 sounds you use most often, 25 you need for a particular gig, etc., and then access those sounds with no scrolling.
thank you. for starters -- how do I find or access D6? when I scrolled the the general bank I didn't see D6. so where do I access this? thank you!

Reaction score
thank you. for starters -- how do I find or access D6? when I scrolled the the general bank I didn't see D6. so where do I access this? thank you!
Like I said, every clav sound is D6, that's the only clavinet Nord sampled. When it says clav, it's a D6.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "scrolled the general bank." There are Programs (in the Program section), there are the individual piano sounds in the Piano section (that's also where other related sounds are, like clav and EP), and there are individual other sounds in the Sample Synth section. All three of these areas have sounds you can scroll through. The ones in the Program section are merely combinations of some of the sounds from the other two sections (with various effects, etc.).

Reaction score
Something else that might help... If the piano section is on, and the clav light is lit up (in an active layer), you're hearing a D6 (because, again, the only clav samples that exist in the keyboard are ones from a D6). Did you try following the instructions in my post #7, which should let you hear all the basic clav sounds by themselves?

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 2.49.09 PM.jpg

Ask a Question