Not so new Newbie

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
Hi forum folks and fellow ticklers of the faux ebony and ivory!

I'm a gigging bass player that has also picked up some keyboard duties, half of which is . . . playing bass! I've been playing keys for over a year now, and wanted to upgrade from a Casio CTK-7200, so there's a new (to me) Juno DS61 headed to my house.

I'm in The Feds Band, a 3-piece band playing multiple genres, and after 4.5 years together (sadly, one of which doesn't count,) we just played our 100th show together. We've added the keys to fatten up our sound and open a lot of possibilities for some great material. Our repertoire consists of classic, older, southern, progressive and other iterationis of rock and roll, pop, blues, a bit of funk and some light jazz. We try to focus on "epic" songs, tunes with a lot of harmony and backing vocals, cuts that most other bands don't play, and overall mostly on songs that we just happen to like. Plus we're like a zero drama band, and all get along great. It's a blast!!!

I originally took spinet organ lessons in my pre-teens for quite a while; although I faked learning the bas cleff, I really liked playing the pedals. Which had repercussions later, when I picked up the bass guitar at 50yo. It felt very natural. Three years ago the guys heard me singing at rehearsal during a break, and forced me to get a mic and take vocal lessons; now I sing lead on about 20% of our songs, and backing vocals and harmony on most of the rest. A little over a year ago I mentioned that I played some keys in my youth and . . .

Well, now I'm a 65 year old retiree, singing and playing bass guitar and keyboard in a great rock and roll cover band, and having the time of my life!

Edit: Pre-apologies and TIAs for all the questions I'm going to ask! It's been great with the few interactions that I've had already!

Ask a Question