Not sure where to tread in begginer keyboard buying

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys probably are inundated with questions of this subject so I really appreciate in advance - anyone who can take a minute to help me.

Basically I've started fairly recently playing the piano and would like to find a suitable keyboard of my own (since the acoustic pianos are far to expensive) but the main important things I want from one are rich realistic piano sounds, something that could actually replace a real piano but preferably with more voices than one - normal, grand piano, ect that feels lovely and again - realistic to play. My budget isn't too small but it's not massive, however, I'd much rather shed the extra £'s for really nice instrument that I would continue to love over time.

I will probably be going to have a look at some in the shops but I've been browsing Yamaha instruments on the internet which seem to have a good reputation, in particular the DGX series but I wanted to hear suggestions from you good folks who have experience and the knowledge.

Many thanks,
Miles.

Reaction score
It seems to me you want a home version of a real piano... Therefore you want 88 keys. Yamaha's DGX series has 88 keys but they are lightweight,
meaning - plasticky.

No feeling, no dynamics. I would recommend a home (stage) piano, and since you already have your eye on yamaha (good work there hehe), try the P140.
You just can't go better then that for home playing, and even stage performing.

yamahap140.gif

It comes in black and silver versions, and it has several pianos, several e.pianos, strings, organ, harpsicord and a few more sounds.

Keys are graded hammer action (which means they behave differently on the bottom octaves then on the higher just like on a real piano since the bottom octave "strings" are bigger, you have to press it harder), and all piano samples are sampled in 3 stereo layers. It comes with built in speakers so you won't have to worry about that.

If the price is high for you (but trust me, it's waaaaay worth it :D), you can try the new p85. It has fewer sounds and the keys are only standard hammer graded (no 3-layer samples), although the keys feel a bit more rubbery... they kinda jump back differently but still they are WAY better then the plasticky keys on the DGX/PSR series.

Bottom line - try the P series :)

Hope I was helpful

Reaction score
That was very helpful thanks =]
Just looked up the price..OUCH! I think I'll have to go have a go on one somewhere. Does this seem any good? http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha...10_ydp_series/10_no_series/ypg_635/index.html In case I can't afford the p140..

Haven't tried that one. but by the looks of it and by the description, those are plain GM / GM2 / XG sounds, not the sampled ones like on the P series so you won't have that much realistic piano sound. But unlike the rest of the DGX series, this one says it has Graded hammer keys... Probably not the ones like on the p140 but more similar to those on the p85... but like i said... i haven't tried that one.

In any case i suggest you go to the store and try ALL the keyboards you seem to like. Just stay on the graded hammer keys - you won't regret it!

Edit:
I just remembered... the last time i checked the prices here at my local Yamaha store this one http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha...10_ydp_series/10_no_series/ydp-131/index.html Had a similar price to the P85. If you have to room for it, and you don't mind the fact it's not portable i think it's the best buy

Reaction score
Many thanks for being so helpful, I'll make sure I'll post which one I will eventually choose.

Ask a Question