Not sure which keyboard to get, info inside

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am buying a keyboard, my first one, but I'm not sure which one to get (obviously). I want to use it mainly to learn how to play piano and to connect it to my laptop to use as a MIDI keyboard for FL Studio. It doesnt have to be hammer-action though. My budget is about 200-300€ (280-430$ / 175-260£). I am willing to top it in case of an extraordinary deal.

So far I've found these two Yamaha keyboards that seem to fit my preferences and get good reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RTBBEI/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-NP31...al-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1314115871&sr=1-15

Other suggestions are more than welcome, maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction as I'm not too knowledged when it comes to keyboards. I hope you can help me out here, thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Don't know the NP-31 but the NP-30 is one of the budget ones I recommend to students.

Good luck on your musical journey.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. However upon further research I've decided not to buy either of the NP keyboards. I found that the DGX230 or the YPG-235 fit my preferences even better. But I cant find clear information about MIDI compatability for these keyboards which is a must for me. Do you/does anyone have experience with these types or know about the presence of MIDI compatability?

EDIT: I found the YPG 235 on Amazon for $250, but on this http://www.kekestar.com/Yamaha-YPG-235-76-Key-MIDI-Portable-Keyboard-p-2500.html site they sell it for only $140. This seems way too low but its tempting, does anyone know if I can trust this site?

Reaction score
Hey, I'll throw my hat in and say try out the SP 5100 (by Fame or Thomann).
It actually has a hammer action and is Midi compatible. It definitely feels more like a piano than any other keyboard I've come across at that price point (€330 from Thomann.de including sustain pedal). Notice I say "more", not that it actually feels like a piano, that's impossible at this price.

Reaction score
Wow thanks LinkyLee, sounds/looks great! Pretty much exactly what I need. And 330 seems like a fair price too. Think I'll get this one, thumbs up man!

EDIT: I looked up the SP 5100 for some user reviews and it wasn't all that satisfying. On another forum someone said this

''what bothered me was the playability of the piano. In my opinion, it has very limited dynamic range and the keyboard makes it even more difficult to play dynamics with confidence. (...) Also some of the keys are wobbly or make a distinct sound when you release them and if you keep pressed the E right above middle C, you will hear how it looping a sample that goes from up to down...other keys were ok.''

I also found out it is originally a Chinese branded keyboard, and I'm always a bit precautious when it comes to Chinese branded products.

I take it you have used the SP 5100 yourself, how do you feel about this? Btw the same guy also said he wouldn't recommend this keyboard to anyone but a beginner on a budget, which pretty much describes me. So maybe I'm being too precautious. It's just that I'm really looking forward to having my own keyboard and I dont want to be disappointed.

Reaction score
Try before buying if you can. If not Thomann.de have a 30 day no hassle money back guarantee, you just pay the postage. They also have an English site.

It's miles better than anything else at this price range if you're going to eventually play a real piano or top quality keyboard as the technique and feel with proper keys compared to a keyboard is completely different. If you're going to be playing keyboard though you're probably better off looking somewhere else.
That being said, no keyboard feels actually like a piano until you top 700. If you imagine a real piano is at no. 10 and 700+ keyboards are between 6-9 then this sits comfortably at 4, everything else is a 1-2 or worse.

I have nothing against chinese instruments as long as you try the one you're buying. Their quality control is always getting better and at the beginner level you can't often find better value for money.

I didn't buy it in the end. Not because it wasn't good but because soon enough I will be able to invest in a more expensive keyboard or get a real piano, so I just bought myself a small 5 octave keyboard to keep me going.

As you said though it seems pretty much ideal for you.

EDIT:
Regarding the review. I always take online reviews with a pinch of salt (mine included!).

Quite often you'll find keyboard players who move to a hammer action can't play with much dynamic. This is because they haven't learnt how too, as I said it's a completely different technique and feel.
It doesn't have the best feel of a hammer action keyboard, it's a bit spongey at times and the keys click a bit when returning to their natural position, but for the price you can't complain and it's not exactly loud, you can't hear it with headphones on.

I highly doubt one specific key had a looped sample and the others didn't, certainly didn't notice anything while playing. Obviously if you're worried check it!

Reaction score
Thanks again for the input LinkyLee, really appreciated. Only there has been a slight change of plans. Due to my parents being willing to sponsor me in buying a keyboard my budget is now in the 500€ area. After some hands on experiences (like you recommended) I've decided I definitely want a hammer action keyboard. I didn't like any of the Soft Touch keyboards I tried really, they all had too much of a plasticy feel. So basically a whole new world has just opened for me lol.

As of now I've spotted the Korg SP170, the Yamaha P95 and the Casio CDP100. Opinions on these and more ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Ask a Question