Novation Impulse Controller Keyboard - Old but good?

aod

Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade my M-Audio Oxygen 61 Mk IV controller keyboard and after lots of reading of reviews and videos etc, I’ve settled on a Novation Impulse 49.

I love the built-in features of this controller, along with the keybed, screen and it’s pleasant aesthetics.

The only niggle that I have on my mind is the fact it’s surprisingly old, and there are some groans online about the Automap software no longer being supported.

Given the age of this controller, it still seems to be quite highly priced, but I’m fine with that if the quality justifies it – and most reviews I’ve seen appear to validate this.

The thing is, most reviews are 7-9+ years old.

I will mostly be using it with Ableton Live Lite, although would like to try other DAW’s – maybe Cakewalk (free), but I’m happy to stick to Ableton as I’ve been learning it for a few years.

This will be connected to a Windows 7 laptop, and possibly in combination with a Behringer UMC204HD.

I had also considered a Novation Launchkey and M-Audio Oxygen Pro, but I’m very keen on the below features of the Impulse which the other 2 don’t have (or a comparable combination of)

• Semi-Weighted Keybed
  • Expression input
  • MIDI Out and In
  • Endless style rotary knobs
  • Aftertouch on keybed and pads
  • 9 Flat faders (inc master)
  • Built-in Help Mode on LCD screen
  • Mixer/MIDI mode for Faders and rotary Knobs
  • Solo/Mute buttons

This video pretty much sold it to me (but it is nearly 10 years old)

So before I pull the trigger, is there any reason to not buy this (quite old) controller keyboard in 2021?

Ask a Question