Off to the Eclipse

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On Monday I'll be AFK for pretty much the entire day, as I'll be taking a road trip with a friend to a city that's closer to the center of the Moon's shadow during the Solar eclipse. The town where I live is on the edge of the shadow at 99.9% coverage, which isn't good enough for us. ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have witnessed one TOTAL eclipse in my lifetime. These are rare. Partials are more common.
The total eclipse was a weird sensational experience. We went into darkness like night. The birds went crazy. They got caught off guard and in a frenzy they began squawking and screaming flyiing from tree to tree in panic mode. The neighbourhood dogs were howling.
Cherish the moment SeaGt.
Cheers Ray:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, hope you enjoy it :D. I would ask you to take some photos, but it would just look like this :D:D:D:

black.gif

I'd love to see one, one day. It looks like I'll have to wait until 2090 for one in the UK - wish me luck ;).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I'm already burnt out on this whole eclipse thingie. I'm in the zone for a partial at least but I really don't even plan to be outside when it happens.

Anyway, here's the musical poop for them as wants it :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'd seen pictures of total solar eclipses; and I vaguely remember seeing a partial solar eclipse back when I was in elementary school-- it must have been the one on March 7, 1970, which was total in parts of South Carolina, but from the maps it looks like the town I live in was right on the edge of the shadow, much as it was today.

But being in the full shadow and seeing the ring of the sun's corona around the moon's disc with one's own eyes is quite different than mere photographs. It wasn't quite the religious experience that the person I went with kept telling me it was going to be, but it was very interesting to see the quality of the daylight changing-- growing dimmer or grayish(?)-- as the moon was covering up progressively more of the sun's disc; and to see some of the planets come out during totality.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I have a lovely red souvenir from sitting out in the sun yesterday. I took sunblock with me-- and a hat and umbrella-- but like a dummy I didn't use the sunblock because I don't like putting lotion on my skin (too icky), the umbrella was a hassle to hold onto, and the rim of the hat kept getting in the way of my view through the eclipse glasses. Plus, I'm whiter-than-white from being an avowed lover of the indoors, so I thought I could benefit from a little color. Silly me! Fortunately, I have a high tolerance for pain, so I'm not having much trouble shoving it to the back of my mind, but my knees are especially sore.

My best story from the eclipse has to do with a tee shirt. Several weeks ago I met a friend downtown for lunch, and right next door to the little cafe is a tee shirt shop that had eclipse tee shirts on display, so I was telling my friend which one I liked the best. She bought it for me last week because she happened to be near the shop-- and I paid her back-- so she was telling me I had to (not should, but had to) wear it when we took our little eclipse road trip to Newberry. I packed it, but wore a different tee shirt while driving. Once we got there and she saw a vendor selling tee shirts from a van, she realized I wasn't wearing mine and asked me where it was. So when we walked back to where we'd parked I switched into my eclipse tee shirt. No sooner did I do that than people started asking me, "Sir, if you don't mind my asking, where did you get that tee shirt?" The vendor in Newberry had several designs, but none that were-- in my opinion-- as nice as the one I was wearing. So I had to keep telling people about the shop in Aiken and where it's located downtown.

After totality was over, we packed up our picnic stuff and walked back downtown to see the Newberry Opera House. When we came out of the Opera House and started strolling back toward the car, a young couple stopped us to ask about the tee shirt. They were just acquaintances-- he was from Sweden, she was from Holland, and they were in the states to attend a seminar in Washington, DC but had driven down to Newberry, SC for the eclipse. They had to drive right back to Washington, DC and couldn't spare 3 hours to drive down to Aiken and back to buy a tee shirt, so my friend Bonnie says, "Well, Michael can sell you his, because he can always buy another one back in Aiken!" So Gunnar from Sweden walked back to our car with us, I switched back into my everyday "San Juan Puerto Rico" tee shirt, sold him my sweaty tee shirt (ew!), and he had Bonnie take a picture with his phone of me standing next to him while he held up the tee shirt. I can see the caption now-- "This nice man sold me the sweaty tee shirt off his back."

Today I went back to The Screenprint Factory in downtown Aiken to buy a replacement tee shirt. They have three or four different designs, but naturally I wanted the same one as before. It has an outline of South Carolina with the path of the eclipse going across it, which is why it was my favorite-- and apparently everyone who stopped me to ask about it were in agreement that it was better than any of the designs being sold in Newberry. I told the owners of the Screenprint Factory that I'd had the tee shirt and had worn it at the eclipse festival in Newberry, how I kept getting stopped by people who wanted to know about it, and that I ended up selling my sweaty tee shirt to Gunnar from Sweden. So I managed to buy a replacement, and told the owners that if they were to advertise the tee shirt online they could probably make a fortune selling it. I'm not sure if the owners are husband and wife, but she told me that he had come up with the design.

Here's a photo of my new, non-sweaty, replacement tee shirt:

File Aug 22, 4 04 41 PM.jpeg

And here's a link to the Facebook page for The Screenprint Factory:

https://www.facebook.com/The-Screenprint-Factory-448945335296490/?rf=142207889150068

Ask a Question