Official NAMM 2018 Keyboard Thread

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A new low end entry level keyboard from Roland. GoKeys.

Looks like it's intended to compete with the Korg Kross and the CTK Series from Casio and the Low End Yamaha PSR series.

And the Korg Prologue.

An evolutionary successor to the Minilogue and the Monologue.

Having had owned a Minilogue in the past I can say that the control layout is basically almost identical to the Minilogue. At a MSRP of $1999 USD I think this one will be a hard sell for Korg.

And seriously I think the Behringer Deepmind 6 and Deepmind 12 are better value for the money. I don't mind having traded up my Minilogue for the Deepmind 6 at all.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Roland VR730. A replacement for the Juno DS88?

Nord Electro 6D...

Hammond SKX...

Add to that the new Casio CTX line and you've got something for everyone at this year's NAMM.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I am pretty sure we do not have a NAMM kind of expo in Australia. Correct me if I am wrong . . anyone?

So, from what I can see, NAMM is in California. Does it travel to other destinations? Will you be tripping accross the border Gary?

envious and enquiring ray

Reaction score
Ray
It is basically a trade show for USA based companies, it is the National Association of Music Merchants.

I know what you mean about a show all in one place.

In the UK we have two major guitar shows, but no all instrument or keyboard show that I am aware of.

I do go every year to a guitar show 30 minutes away from where I live, if you are into horse racing you will have heard of Haydock Park which is the venue, there are about 120 venders and live artists for 5 hours and all for a £7 entrance fee.

Reaction score
Now the Roland GoKeys looks ideal for my Grandson to play with when he visits and I can also take it around to a friends to jam on, humping the Korg around is crippling me.

The GoKeys is not a bad price either, imho far better falue than a similar priced Yamaha (ps I am not a fan of low cost Yammies).

Youtube reviews show it to be a great keyboard for the market it is aimed at.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ray >>> NAMM is 2800 miles away from me. Much as I'd love to attend, it's sort of a long drive to get there :D

Summer NAMM is held in Nashville TN, which is only about a 1000 miles away.

I wish there was a Caandian equivalent but there's none that I know of.

UK may not have a NAMM but every year in Europe there's the Musik Messe which I assume is held somewhere in Germany.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think Studiologic came out with a new, fully weighted 73 in their SL line.

gary ;)

I would be interested, as I wouldn’t mind having a 73 around, but I’ve always been bewildered by SLs lack of controllers. I’m not a huge controller hog, though I like 9 drawbars for organs if possible (not a deal breaker for a backup board tho). But I do really need 3 pedal inputs and a few buttons to trigger software patch changes.

Anyway, I’m more interested in an unweighted 73 board for the ocational air traveling gig.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think Studiologic's design philosophy is that you are supposed to use their controllers more with rack modules in a stage setting where all the controls are on the modules.

If you need a controller with all the bells and whistles and knobs and sliders, then the Arturia, which you already own, is your best bet.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that, and it’s probably a great workflow for a lot of setups. It uses the same Fatar 100/TP Keybed as my Keylab, and I’ve been very pleased with it so far.

Unfortunately, I’m in the market for a backup rig to the Keylab, not an addition.

Further unfortunate, Arturia has all but discontinued the original Keylab 61 (they’re pushing the Essential line hard, which doesn’t have the pedal connectivity I need), and they never produced a 76, which would be more my size.

Reaction score
Here's a Kraft Music clip on the new line of Casio keyboards at NAMM 2018:

As near as I can tell, all 4 models are 61 key boards. The upper two models - the 3000 and 5000 - have 17 track recorders and editable sound and effects.

>Charlie

Ask a Question