Old Song, New Video

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've just posted a second video of an older tune to Youtube.

I'm not sure I'm happy with what Youtube does to the audio quality though.

Here's the Youtube version alongside the Soundcloud version.

Please give an honest opinion what you think about the quality of each one.

https://soundcloud.com/happyrat1/fever-chills

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The you tube version seems to be a bit muted in the mid range, sound cloud sounds crisper, ive noticed that also with my uploads, either the bass gets Boomy or the mid range /highs suffer a little.. but its nothing horribly noticable unless doing a side by side ;) btw nice synthy sound! what was it played on?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The synthy stuff was the Waldorf Blofeld Desktop and the Roland JD-Xi on that one.

What I am hearing are compression artifacts on the high end harmonics.

To be honest it's driving me nuts to hear this stuff get pumped out of my speakers.

I plan to try a few more experiments this coming week and see if I stick with Youtube or not.

I may not get as many plays on soundcloud but at least the music sounds as it was created.

Thanks for listening btw, and the instruments used on every track are listed in the more info sections on the youtube pages.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What's more is that I've listened to the video I uploaded on my own system along side the youtube version.

The artifacts are definitely not coming from my end.

It's that lousy youtube compression.

:eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You can definitely hear the impact of the YouTube compression, but to be honest it still sounds good enough to me. I reckon most people listen to YouTube on their phones or via crappy headphones anyway. I upload plenty of stuff to YouTube and can always live with the results.

Disclaimer: I'm not one of these "only use $5000 cables and listen to music in a padded cell" audiophile types.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I thank you for the impressions Paul. Then again I wonder if your hearing has survived twenty years of playing barroom gigs behind the chicken wire ;)

It's one thing to enjoy good music on a half decent stereo setup and it's something else entirely to work and play in the club scene for a decade or two.

Likewise I'm not a $5000 cable guy either, but my high frequency hearing hasn't been trashed since I attended my last Ted Nugent Concert 40 years ago. :)

Plus a lot of people these days listen to their iPhones using $400 Beats By Dre earbuds. The equipment is not at fault here. I place the blame squarely upon Youtube's garbage compression. Perhaps if I allowed them to monetize my work I'd get more bandwidth but I still own a principle or two that I refuse to surrender. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I thank you for the impressions Paul. Then again I wonder if your hearing has survived twenty years of playing barroom gigs behind the chicken wire ;)
HAHAHA it's funny 'cos it's true! My hearing is DEAFinitiely not what it used to be...

Going off topic slightly - I have a device on the front of my car called a ShuRoo. It emits a high pitched frequency which is supposed to scare wildlife off the highway. It must work as I've never seen an elephant on the road since I've had it.

The effectiveness of the device (or lack thereof) notwithstanding, My 13 year old son has to constantly remind me to turn the thing off in built up areas, as he can hear it from inside the car - I can't.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yep. Younger ears can definitely hear frequencies us old farts can no longer detect. :)

But back on topic, there's a detailed discussion on google about this that makes me think this is an unfixable problem.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/JzPf2jw9wQg

I may just end up pulling my youtube videos entirely and sticking with soundcloud which imposes no bandwidth restrictions and only a very generous run time allotment.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
My hearing is DEAFinitiely not what it used to be...
That is very clever the DEAF bit.
Please give an honest opinion what you think about the quality of each one.
My hearing is in SOUND condition.
To me the quality difference between the two modes is miniscule.The tune you are playing is not something which we all know and to pick differences between youtube and soundcloud is like trying to pick up spilt grains of salt. Just pick the best ones. :eek: That's Rays analogy :rolleyes:
Anyway to be honest. The youtube was louder.
Ray.

Reaction score
The Soundcloud sound was better, but the YouTube I think is good enough, there wasn't a big difference just more clarity on SC. By the way I liked your compo, no that's not compost it's composition (tongue in cheek) it was lively and moving. Happy Easter!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm gonna try another song and see what happens.

Maybe it had something to do with the spectral content of Fever Chills?

I didn't seem to have any problem with 420 blues but I went thru a Google Sanctioned Service to create and post that one.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, here's another one.

Devoured by Bunnies.

This time it seems to have made it thru without corruption.

Maybe it was just a glitch with the Fever Chills upload or maybe it was just somethiing about the complexity of the spectral content.

Anyway, here's the latest with the Soundcloud comparison side by side.

https://soundcloud.com/happyrat1/devoured-by-bunnies

Many thanks to all of you who participated in this little experiment with me and you'll find some lovely parting gifts waiting for you at the Starbucks in Clarkson Mall :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
To me the sound cloud still sounded a bit cleaner on the bunnies recording..i was hearing some distortion on the cosmic bell pad sound on the you tube version..?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yes there were still a few compression artifacts on Bunnies but this time they weren't as badly pronounced as on the other cut.

I think it's just going to have to be hit or miss from now on.

On each one I've mentioned my soundcloud page with a link so for the sake of expanding my audience I guess I'll just have to live with Youtube's audio butchery :D

Thanks again guys :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Still cannot find fault with youtube. The bell sound was not distorted to my ears. Youtube came in louder again.

I mentioned you Gary at Starbucks and they said I am entitled to a loyalty card which allows me one free marshmallow after 10 visits. Wow! I said what if I hadn't mentioned Gary. They told me would have been half as good . . Just 5 visits.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::)
High on 420 marshmallows -ray

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
These were all sequenced and posted to soundcloud over the past 5 years.

I keep the original Cakewalk MIDI WRK files for all my songs, as well as MP3 versions of the original recordings, so it's simply a matter of recording the video with each MP3.

Actually I have some MIDI files of mine dating back almost two decades :eek:

I plan to put up another dozen or so of my better pieces in the next week or so.

Hurry up and vote me up and subscribe man.

You get your beer when I get my ice cream cone :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question