old synth newbie

Reaction score
I am an 82 year-old with about 55 years experience playing bass. I have done shows, casuals, supper clubs, etc. More recently I spent 24 years playing double bass in a symphony.

A stroke in 2010 caused my left hand almost useless. A couple of years ago I bought a Yamaha MX49 so that I could play bass lines on a keyboard. I set the octave button down twice and this allows me to use the right side of the keyboard with my right hand. The only reason why I opted for this synth is that it comes with 5 useable (for me) bass voices.

There is a world of features that I disregard because I don't have synth experience or knowledge. Is there a source of material for the Yamaha MX49 for newbies? The existing material is geared to people with prior synth knowledge. Thanks for any help.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Michael,
Your story breaks my heart. Such a cruel blow to a dedicated musician. Sone people here at this forum are well equipped to give you the best advice. Glad you made it here. I am not one of those people but I just want to welcome you here and wish you the best.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I was not aware of a couple of your suggestions. I'll check them out.

Reaction score
Hi Michael,
Your story breaks my heart. Such a cruel blow to a dedicated musician. Sone people here at this forum are well equipped to give you the best advice. Glad you made it here. I am not one of those people but I just want to welcome you here and wish you the best.
Thanks for your comments. I'm still plugging away playing tunes from the American songbook...mostly jazz standards. I sure miss my upright.

Ask a Question